April 2018 General Men's Session

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

April 2018 General Men's Session

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 16:52

Opening the thread.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Beefster

Re: April 2018 General Men's Session

Post by Beefster » 31 Mar 2018, 17:28

Combining high priests and elder's quorum. That's a good move.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 17:30

I agree, and it is a MAJOR change. My eyes about popped out of my head.

Ironically, the men now mirror the organization of the Relief Society.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 31 Mar 2018, 17:32

It doesn't really change anything for me since I'm in a YSA ward, but I think it will help with the issue with tiny quorums in family wards. It will help a ton for rural areas and otherwise geriatric wards.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 17:33

We have been meeting together a couple weeks per month for some time just to have a critical mass. Good move. I'm eager to hear more.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 17:36

I am glad he said explicitly that they don't want High Priests taking over Elders Quorum, that they want the new presidencies to be comprised of current High Priests and Elders.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 17:38

"I hope we no longer speak of being 'advanced' in the MP."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 17:46

Curt Sunshine wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 17:38
"I hope we no longer speak of being 'advanced' in the MP."
Like. :thumbup:

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 31 Mar 2018, 17:50

No more PEC. Nice.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 17:56

Beefster wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 17:50
No more PEC. Nice.
That one has been coming for awhile.

My Introduction