April 2018 Saturday Afternoon Session

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

April 2018 Saturday Afternoon Session

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 13:14

Just starting the thread.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Re: April 2018 Saturday Afternoon Session

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 13:31

I'm not going to complain about a talk that starts with a focus on the Savior. Good one Bednar.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 13:46

I liked Elder Bednar's talk a lot. It was a good focus on Christ.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 14:04

So far so good. Meekness and sacrifice are both solid topics as well.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 31 Mar 2018, 14:07

Involving young women. Fantastic!
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 31 Mar 2018, 14:09

After the sustainings: I just heard the shouting "STOP PROTECTING SEXUAL PREDATORS" I find it amusing that someone thought it was a good idea to shout that in the conference center, but at the same time deeply saddening that it has to come to this.

The auditor just said a bunch of words. No financial transparency this year.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 14:35

Sister Oscarson asking, "What can (the YW) NOT be involved in doing?" (whatever the exact quote was) is the perfect question, since it means they CAN be involved in anything else.

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 31 Mar 2018, 15:06

Can anyone find the membership statistics?

Never mind. It's actually a feature article along with the announcement of the closing of two MTCs.

I suspect the move to post them online instead of announcing it in conference is a move to hide the fact that the numbers are beginning to decline... or slowing down in growth, at the very least. It's hard to measure with all the inactives and people who leave but do not get their names removed.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 15:23

Beefster wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 15:06
Can anyone find the membership statistics?

Never mind. It's actually a feature article along with the announcement of the closing of two MTCs.

I suspect the move to post them online instead of announcing it in conference is a move to hide the fact that the numbers are beginning to decline... or slowing down in growth, at the very least. It's hard to measure with all the inactives and people who leave but do not get their names removed.
Could be an effort to hide the numbers, but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and think it is more of a time saver for conference. It's fine with me. Sometimes I think some of our meetings are too businessy (and I have heard this from outsiders) and not churchy enough.

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 15:23

I think the biggest surprise for me has been not hearing from a member of the FP yet.

My Introduction