Reflections on Anderson's Talk

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Reflections on Anderson's Talk

Post by SilentDawning » 31 Mar 2018, 11:20

I walked in on Anderson's talk and in the space of about 10 minutes had about 4 alarm bells go off.

1. Don't put question marks at the end of what a prophet says -- just try to be like him.

It just struck me as blind obedience again, and leader worship -- both dangerous things.

2. Don't try to distinguish between when a prophet is giving personal opinion or speaking as a prophet.

Also dangerous in case the prophet says or does something wrong. Then there is no way out.

Overall sense of leadership worship and top-down authority which seems entirely foreign to me now, and not quite right.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Ilovechrist77

Re: Reflections on Anderson's Talk

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 31 Mar 2018, 11:27

I agree with you, Silent Dawning, even if that's not he meant. That's sure how he said it. Sheesh. The others were very good, even if Ballard's was so-so.

Joni

Post by Joni » 31 Mar 2018, 11:55

Yeah, the Church gets to have it both ways. The Prophet is always speaking as a Prophet. But if a past prophet says something we now find embarrassing, he was speaking as a man.

Doesn't the New Testament say something about how we don't get to have it both ways? :lol:

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 08 Apr 2018, 15:04

Give brother Andersen a break. ;)

His talks don't do much for me but they must be helping other people. IDK

I get the impression that Andersen needs a prophet much more than I do, and that's okay.

You know Andersen stands a very good chance of becoming prophet one day. I hope he's prepared for that eventuality.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.
― Rumi

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Apr 2018, 18:37

The Bible is full of the same thing. Just saying. :D
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken