Reflections on Anderson's Talk

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Reflections on Anderson's Talk

Post by SilentDawning » 31 Mar 2018, 11:20

I walked in on Anderson's talk and in the space of about 10 minutes had about 4 alarm bells go off.

1. Don't put question marks at the end of what a prophet says -- just try to be like him.

It just struck me as blind obedience again, and leader worship -- both dangerous things.

2. Don't try to distinguish between when a prophet is giving personal opinion or speaking as a prophet.

Also dangerous in case the prophet says or does something wrong. Then there is no way out.

Overall sense of leadership worship and top-down authority which seems entirely foreign to me now, and not quite right.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Ilovechrist77

Re: Reflections on Anderson's Talk

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 31 Mar 2018, 11:27

I agree with you, Silent Dawning, even if that's not he meant. That's sure how he said it. Sheesh. The others were very good, even if Ballard's was so-so.

Joni

Post by Joni » 31 Mar 2018, 11:55

Yeah, the Church gets to have it both ways. The Prophet is always speaking as a Prophet. But if a past prophet says something we now find embarrassing, he was speaking as a man.

Doesn't the New Testament say something about how we don't get to have it both ways? :lol:

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 08 Apr 2018, 15:04

Give brother Andersen a break. ;)

His talks don't do much for me but they must be helping other people. IDK

I get the impression that Andersen needs a prophet much more than I do, and that's okay.

You know Andersen stands a very good chance of becoming prophet one day. I hope he's prepared for that eventuality.
It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words, "And this too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!
― Abraham Lincoln

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Apr 2018, 18:37

The Bible is full of the same thing. Just saying. :D
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken