April 2018 Saturday Morning session

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

April 2018 Saturday Morning session

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 09:13

Solemn assembly right off. Eyring conducting. This will take some time. Both my picks for apostle made it! Gong and Soares!
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: April 2018 Saturday Morning session

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 09:16

Wow. Two who were among my top choices were called as the new apostles. I am shocked and delighted.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 31 Mar 2018, 09:21

I noticed that for the sustainings from the general membership, they alternated between equal age/size groups between men and women. They're really trying to show equality.

I sat on the fence for sustainings. I don't feel I can really sustain or oppose any of the leaders.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 09:27

I think it was noteworthy they did women before the AP. I don't recall it being done that way before.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 09:27

The focus on the new Prophet is completely understandable, but it won't resonate much with many here.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 09:30

Curt Sunshine wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 09:27
The focus on the new Prophet is completely understandable, but it won't resonate much with many here.
I was thinking the same thing. Likewise the focus on faith. I generally give Ballard a miss anyway. And he had to go there with technology.

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 09:33

It is a solid orthodox talk. Nothing out of line thus far.

"Too many allow themselves to almost live online." We need to unplug in order to "be still and know that I am God." That is a good point and a good way to say it.

The focus on service also is well presented. "(Jesus) went about doing good."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 09:52

Taylor of the Seventy, OK talk about being children of God.
Echo Hawk started with an Easter theme, nice talk about the Savior's mission and forgiving.

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 09:56

"Forgiveness allows me to remember them with unfettered joy."

That is a wonderful point. I have never thought about it that way.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 10:00

This is a great talk about forgiveness by Elder Echo Hawk. I recommend it to everyone.