Can we "buy" blessings?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
dande48

Re: Can we "buy" blessings?

Post by dande48 » 12 Feb 2018, 11:02

DarkJedi wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 09:12
So there you have it, I can't buy blessings through prayer anyway because I am double minded and unstable (which is probably what some members of my ward think as well) and shouldn't expect to receive anything. Fortunately for me, I don't expect to receive anything, but at least I now know why.
Isn't that a catch-22?! When promised blessings don't come, it's always the recipient's fault for not believing hard enough. God must work contrary to the nature in this case. Nature doesn't care one wit whether you believe in it or not.

And the truth is, we all have doubts on some level or another. I think it's rather silly for God to bless or curse us depending on our "belief" in the supernatural, over our belief in virtue or right-action.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 12 Feb 2018, 11:21

Many of those who don't believe in the supernatural are often very cut off from nature in my experience. It leads to a very sterile worldview in many cases.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 12 Feb 2018, 13:13

SamBee wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 11:21
Many of those who don't believe in the supernatural are often very cut off from nature in my experience. It leads to a very sterile worldview in many cases.
Very off-topic, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. It greatly depends on the person, but I'd say it's more likely the inverse is true.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 12 Feb 2018, 13:20

I find this a lot. Some of them even struggle with metaphor in music & literature. But literalism is the curse of our age - we have turned into machines.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 12 Feb 2018, 15:36

DarkJedi wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 07:21
So what are your thoughts? Can we "buy" blessings by obedience?
I skimmed the replies and my thought may take this thread a different direction. DJ, if this isn't where you're headed feel free to ignore or delete.

From a literal perspective, I think the answer is "yes" based pm the the way LDS treat tithing and using a literal interpretation of the word "buy". We cannot be baptized, receive the Melchizedek Priesthood, or go to the temple without paying tithing. One may argue that not everyone earns an income, and therefore doesn't have to buy anything, but I argue that's a minority. One may also argue that it's not about "buying" anything and rather that it's about obedience - but that argument can apply so broadly to most commandments that it implies the only valid reason to obey is to show obedience.
Last edited by Roadrunner on 12 Feb 2018, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 12 Feb 2018, 15:39

On a broader note, I think the answer for LDS should be "no" but we often think of blessings / commandments as transactional. I think this is what Kind Benjamin warns against in Mosiah 2:24 when he says as soon as we are blessed we are immediately indebted once again.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 13 Feb 2018, 04:15

I think we don't always recognize our blessings. Despite all of the bad things that have happened to me, plenty of good things have as well.