Trek The Movie

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Trek The Movie

Post by mom3 » 03 Feb 2018, 15:53

"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Re: Trek The Movie

Post by nibbler » 03 Feb 2018, 17:19

I don't know...

I feel like the central theme is going to be putting the "simulated experience for a simulated testimony" guy in his place. He'll have a change of heart and be crying in some testimony meeting by the end of it all. Then all the moms of Mormondom will say, "Remember Tom from the movie... how he didn't want to go and then..." every time one of their kids complains about having to do trek. :angel:

mom3

Post by mom3 » 03 Feb 2018, 18:48

The movie likely will be lame like that. I should have prefaced that I love the trailer.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 04 Feb 2018, 00:39

The writers are first-timer Jon Enos and David Howard, the original writer of the 1999 science-fiction comedy “Galaxy Quest.”
Now that's quite a funny film but maybe they have the wrong "Trek"?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Post by Roy » 04 Feb 2018, 12:22

For many movies of this sort something terrible happens to put the group in real danger (plane crash, bandits, leaders have accident and need to be carried out on a stretcher). I suspect that not to be the case for this movie. I wonder what the source of conflict will be? How will the characters change/evolve/learn from the experience. I enjoyed the girls camp movie so I suppose there does not need to be any real danger to create conflict.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 04 Feb 2018, 12:43

Crappy weather, infighting... I can think of a few ideas.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

mom3

Post by mom3 » 05 Feb 2018, 15:35

The writers are first-timer Jon Enos and David Howard, the original writer of the 1999 science-fiction comedy “Galaxy Quest.”
This is where my hope lies. I love Galaxy Quest. We need our Trek to be like Galaxy Quest. It works for my warped sense of humor. Be our own punching bag. It would be very healthy for us.

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 05 Feb 2018, 16:49

I have in-laws that give me Utah Mormon movies every single Christmas. Some are better than others and some are "solidly ok." Maybe this one will be not terrible. I personally have mixed feelings towards Trek because I think they'd have a more genuine experience just going hiking for a week with firesides at night - but my two oldest daughters *loved* Trek even though both are very liberal for LDS kids.

My stake's Trek always have at least a few non-Mormons attending and I know of one who did get baptized - but most don't. If the movie is real the non-Mormons will leave respecting Mormons a bit more but probably wouldn't become baptized because of it.

Somehow I told my (non Mormon) doctor about Trek and he said that every teenager in the USA should do it. He said we could all use a jolt of appreciation of civilization. That comment has always stuck with me coming from a very educated non Mormon.