Is it horrible to drink coffee

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: Is it horrible to drink coffee

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Feb 2018, 06:27

SamBee wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 11:54
The insomnia, headaches, heart arrhythmia, anxiety and gut problems it caused me were certainly horrible, and I don't miss them.

People drink coffee to perk them up, but like most uppers it slams you right down later on.

https://ssir.org/articles/entry/the_pro ... ade_coffee

Coffee has one of the most unfair trade relations and poisons the soil it grows on.
Yes, Sam, but neither of these things make Rebel a horrible person. I don't like coffee (but I love the smell of it) and my DD suffers some of the symptoms you mention when she drinks coffee. I have been known to drink ice tea (by definition not "hot"). I personally don't believe the WoW to be a commandment (one of the first things it says) and I personally don't think it should be a TR question. None of that makes me a horrible person. I think a major point that many members miss is how many things, commandment or not, really boil down to personal choice and individual comfort level with that choice. I'm comfortable drinking the occasional ice tea and if I liked coffee, the occasional cup. I'm also comfortable not tithing on gross and counting other worthy causes as part of tithing. Other are not comfortable drinking a Coke (I prefer Pepsi) and believe tithing is only correct if it's on gross. Because none of us are perfect, nor by the way do I believe any of us are "more perfect" than anyone else, none of us are horrible and all of us are to some extent hypocrites. (Yes, I do hold a TR.)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

dande48

Post by dande48 » 01 Feb 2018, 07:44

I just saw a string of articles this morning, on how legislation is in process to list coffee as a Carcinogen in California. Of course, just about everything is...
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 01 Feb 2018, 08:40

You could smoke 2 packs a day, drink 10 cups of coffee a day, have a beer sip-hat, have wine with every meal, light up a joint on the weekends, and drink tea with all your English friends, and none of that would make you a bad person. It's true there are good health reasons to avoid these things, and that's what the WoW is for. The church should have never made avoiding any of those things a requirement for a TR because it conflates good advice with what it means to be a good person.

So no. It's not horrible to drink coffee.
dande48 wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 07:44
I just saw a string of articles this morning, on how legislation is in process to list coffee as a Carcinogen in California. Of course, just about everything is...
They might as well list oxygen as a carcinogen... Oh wait, it actually is. Our bodies are just awesome and fight off most of the random cancer cells that form in our bodies on a daily basis. Most of the time, there aren't enough of them at any given time for there to be a problem. Cancer as a disease is the state when the immune system can no longer keep up with the division of cancer cells. (Or at least that's how I understand it. I'm no expert)
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

Roy

Post by Roy » 01 Feb 2018, 15:38

Beefster wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 08:40
light up a joint on the weekends,
I once heard a man give a talk about hearing the message of Christ and feeling inspired to follow him. The problem is that he was a drug addict and really had no background in what living as a Christian was supposed to mean.

He made a decision to become a follower of Christ by not doing any drugs on the Sabbath. As he took that tiny step he felt the love of God. His offering, limited as it was, was accepted and he was loved. Over time he felt moved upon and encouraged to take additional steps in his walk with Christ - eventually changing his life in substantial ways for the better.

It was a powerful talk.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 01 Feb 2018, 18:52

I like wayfarer's line of thinking in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3391
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Feb 2018, 04:54

The growing industries which seriously exploit the Third World include coffee, tea, tobacco, heroin and cocaine. All of these pay the farmers poorly but make a massive mark up for the multinationals who sell them to end users.

If you're going to buy the stuff, buy fair trade and don't touch Nescafé as they are one of the worst of the bunch.

We could say the same about toys, clothing etc made in the Third World. If we knowingly buy goods which involve underpaid labor, we do become complicit.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."