Tribalism and Apostasy

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
NightSG

Re: Tribalism and Apostasy

Post by NightSG » 28 Jan 2018, 23:05

On Own Now wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 18:10
I consider myself a guest at church.
I feel more like the Guy on the Couch. Except it's not August, it's 5 years later.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 29 Jan 2018, 03:15

Tabitha wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 21:23
On Own Now wrote:
31 Dec 1969, 17:02
FWIW, I have recently observed faithful LDS adherents severely mock other members for voting republican. There is no moral highground in the current political climate; only a lot of moral valleys that people seem unable to crawl out of.
My MIL and FIL are both strong members. They are also both strong far left liberals. While I admire this about them, they come out swinging and say some VERY cruel things about ALL Republicans. THANK goodness the hubs and I are Independent or family visits with them would be aaaaawkward. :shock:
I don't know where Americans get the idea liberalism is far left from. Perhaps because their Overton Window* is shifted so far to the right that they think the center is the left.

* https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » 29 Jan 2018, 07:05

I see your point. I definitely can be using "far" anything incorrectly. My stepdad is Republican. Not just a conservative with mild convictions. He's the guy that's wearing those political shirts and offense bumper stickers and there is no bend in anything said about politics if it isn't his own. And then there's my in-laws on the equal "far" end of the spectrum that have the same amount of convictions about politics as his, making it just as difficult to have conversations with due to the unwillingness to see anothers view if it isn't a liberal one, they've got the bumper stickers on their Prius and she's got wall hangings about the IQ level of repubs. The way I see it both have valid points and should be able to listen and respect each other's views. So that's where I use the "far" term.

Roy

Post by Roy » 29 Jan 2018, 10:17

Curt Sunshine wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 18:47
Unfortunately, we are more "natural" than we like to believe.
I find this statement ironic in its truth. We believe that we are special - and in doing so ... we are just like everyone else.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13