On DFU Making it Back to the FP or Becoming Pres

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Re: On DFU Making it Back to the FP or Becoming Pres

Post by mom3 » 20 Jan 2018, 14:45

would love a DFU presidency (think about who he would call as counselors!!).
To soothe my soul, I have been playing Fantasy FB. It's been a lot of fun.

My winning combo is DFU, Patrick Kearon, Elder Causse. (That's using the people we have. But if a nice non-white guy gets a chair, then I am all about that. Even if they are way TBM.)

All my other combo's are a distant second and third place.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 21 Jan 2018, 08:30

I don't know how much of a difference it would make. Or stated differently, the church can't place all of its hopes in the Uchtdorf basket.
I have to agree with Nibbler's comment here. I certainly appreciate President (now Elder) Uchtdorf and I enjoy his talks and his often moderate approach. But in the end, the LDS Church is what it is: a very culturally conservative organization with a literal approach to its doctrines and beliefs. (That's not a criticism necessarily...that what draws in many new converts and retains many members). My circle of acquaintances all (without exception) love Elder Uchtdorf and they are TBM through and through. If Elder Uchtdorf became President and made radical changes (not saying that's what he'd automatically do) such as, promoting the sanctification of same-sex marriages, he would lose a lot of the membership, regardless of his popularity. My opinion is that if he were to become President of the LDS Church it would remain essentially unchanged in general (though some specific characteristics may be altered).
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 22 Jan 2018, 12:24

https://www.lds.org/church/news/elder-u ... committees

DFU has the assignment of chair of the Correlation Executive Council. Could that have an effect on the overall tone of the church's message?
Happy Valentimes!
– Vlem