Thread about Press Conference after new FP announced

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Always Thinking

Thread about Press Conference after new FP announced

Post by Always Thinking » 17 Jan 2018, 13:48

Somebody said they wanted a thread about the question and answer session after the new FP was announced, so I thought I'd start one. I don't remember a ton from it, but I do remember there was a point (minute 2:35:20) where they talked about working with the Q12 and the camera moved to the Q12 and everyone but Uchtdorf and one other guy (can't remember his name) was looking back at them and smiling, except Uchtdorf who didn't even look at them or smile while the camera was facing them. I'm not sure if him getting moved down caused contentions or if that was just a coincidence that he was not looking at them. Let me know if I'm just looking for things that may not be there. I also was a bit worried about Eyering at a couple points where he kept staring off with a plastered smile on his face. When he was talking he seemed like his normal self, but his blank stares at a couple points (especially toward the beginning) had me worried that he wasn't all there mentally anymore. Who knows, maybe he was just having an off-day.

For those who haven't seen the video, here's a link. It starts at minute 1.00.00

https://youtu.be/Mt3TslcvLV4
Last edited by Always Thinking on 17 Jan 2018, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

squarepeg

Re: Thread about Press Conference after new FP announced

Post by squarepeg » 17 Jan 2018, 14:07

Yes, I was willing someone to please gently tell Pres Eyring to close his mouth so he wouldn't look so frightening.

Every time I saw Uchtdorf, he had a somewhat forced-looking smile. Some people just smile in public like that, though, so I may have been reading into that a bit.

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 17 Jan 2018, 14:24

Interesting... The D&C verse Pres Nelson cited to show that women's divine role is to have kiddos was originally meant in reference to plural wives.

http://www.keepapitchinin.org/2018/01/17/verse-63/

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 17 Jan 2018, 14:27

I was disappointed Uchdorft didn't stay in the presidency.

And apparently others aren't either -- here is an article on the fact that some Mormons are not happy about getting less Uchdorft

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/m/1 ... happy.html

The reasons give are more that he was international, and that he gave a very respectful tone in conference talks (in the article).

My reasons were that he spoke against "class structure" in the church, against judging people on the fringes, acknowledgement that past leaders have made a lot of mistakes, and his carefully worded statement that "no local leaders are paid" -- which to me, was transparency I wasn't used to seeing about the lay ministry.

For me, his comments in GC define his influence on my life -- more of opening the circle wider for people like me. I don't know how much influence he had in the FP as a counselor, and the impact of moving in DHO in his place. It's hard to know -- as a counselor in a Bpric, I had some influence, but it was really the Bishop who called all the shots. I did influence his thinking a few times -- once to go heavier on a disciplinary outcome than the Bishop originally thought, but beyond that I don't remember having much influence...I wonder how it works in the FP, particularly among aged men who have some pretty well-formed opinions, like RMN must have.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

mom3

Post by mom3 » 17 Jan 2018, 16:39

Good thread Amy -

When I am done grieving I will add to it. The Press Conference? Yuck.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 17 Jan 2018, 16:49

Nelson: "I'm optimistic about the future and feel confident about the fundamental goodness of humankind." I liked that statement because I think we often run the risk of believing that the world only gets worse (more wicked) with time.

I get the feeling that the focus on the church in coming years will be "keep on the covenant path." Whatever that translates to, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot of it during our meetings. I'm thinking it will translate into goals to go to the temple. Millennials may also be wondering why they need a church and this may be the FP's answer - you have to take the sacrament. When it was first mentioned I also felt like Nelson was referencing multi-generational families, though not in those words. The idea is that you have to keep your covenants to make sure your family (generational family) doesn't end up off the path.

During the press conference I felt Oaks was being a little forceful in his interjections, sometimes talking over Nelson but I think that may have been the format of the Q&A session.

Questions:
How do you plan to address LGBT issues?
Initially Nelson framed the question as a challenge to be worthy. There's a lot of implication behind that response, but it's not a surprise either. Our theology is very much tied to the nuclear family.

Nelson also said that there's a place for them in the church. I'll extend this to members that have nuanced or differing views as well. I wish Nelson would have elaborated here. It's one thing to tell someone they're welcome, it's quite another to help them feel welcome. What place is there? What does it look like? That's a question that I don't think I could answer.

What are the main challenges of the church in areas that are experiencing socioeconomic challenges (like Mexico) and what are your plans to overcome them?

(continued)
The night stared me in the face, amorphous, blind, infinite, without frontiers. Not a single star relieved the darkness behind the glass.
― Stanisław Lem

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 17 Jan 2018, 17:08

What will you do in your presidency to bring women, people of color, and international members into decision making for the church?

They had trouble here. The leaders of the church aren't representative. God calls who he calls. There are so many countries that some countries are going to be left out. :crazy:

And later:

What about women?

"I love them."

It's hard to answer a 21st century question with 19th century answers. We're hamstrung by our received revelations. The received revelations have placed us in a box, a box that's too small for the 21st century. Over all, the divine role of women in the Mormon church is to raise children. If you are a good woman you can raise up kids that will become bishops. :crazy: I don't even want to unpack that one right now.

Unintentional polygamy joke of the year:
Nelson: "And I often wondered. How am I so lucky as to get girls and where are all the missionary boys? Well we finally did get one and the poor boy didn't even know who his real mother was for the first couple of years."

I know, I know. He meant because of his daughters. Still. :lol: Also, subtle message boys=missionaries. The expectation is still very real.

Nelson paraphrased D&C 132:63:
"...before the foundation of the world, women were created to bear and care for the sons and daughters of god and in doing so they glorify god."

(continued)
The night stared me in the face, amorphous, blind, infinite, without frontiers. Not a single star relieved the darkness behind the glass.
― Stanisław Lem

Ann

Post by Ann » 17 Jan 2018, 17:10

squarepeg wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 14:24
Interesting... The D&C verse Pres Nelson cited to show that women's divine role is to have kiddos was originally meant in reference to plural wives.

http://www.keepapitchinin.org/2018/01/17/verse-63/
Thanks for linking to the Ardis P. post.

I usually don’t nod my head in agreement when people talk about GAs ages, nationality, out-of-touch-ness, but, wow, do I feel it now. Very disappointed in his comments about women throughout the Q&A.

It’s 2018!
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 17 Jan 2018, 17:33

How can you, as leaders of the church, retain and draw millennials to belief in God and to the church?

You are a child of god. Kids today are better than kids when I was on my mission. Get married.

[something or other about growth]What do you expect for the future of the church in Brazil?

Nelson: "And remember that in the year I was born there were no members of the church in South America."

Well yeah, it probably took a few years for people to filter down to SA after disembarking from the Ark. :angel:

Could you give a message to the youth. What can they learn from you? As Nelson puts it, "How can the youth follow an old man?"

He travels. Lots of experience leading the church. He talks to his grandchildren... who are probably in their late 40s (not youth) ;) . Optimism.

What message can you give those that are leaving the church or have problems with early church leadership or principles that have been taught? And also you have an army of missionaries but church growth ain't great.

Know the difference between doctrine and human. Don't be offended. Keep the commandments. He implies people leave because they want the freedom to sin. It's not one guy, it's the council of the Q15. Joseph Smith Papers. Context... and how would you like it if there were Nibbler Papers that people picked through to find fault. "Boy the prophet Joseph comes out mighty high." ...for you, but not for many people leaving.
― Stanisław Lem

dande48

Post by dande48 » 17 Jan 2018, 19:06

nibbler wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 16:49
Nelson also said that there's a place for them in the church. I'll extend this to members that have nuanced or differing views as well. I wish Nelson would have elaborated here. It's one thing to tell someone they're welcome, it's quite another to help them feel welcome. What place is there? What does it look like? That's a question that I don't think I could answer.
That's what I want to know. I'm afraid that many of these answers were more talk than action. They were speaking for publicity, very careful with how they worded things and how they responded. When put on the spot, it's easy to talk one way when you feel another.
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO