New question on the CES school application?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
QuestionAbound

New question on the CES school application?

Post by QuestionAbound » 11 Jan 2018, 21:27

My son is filling out an application for BYU-I.

Backstory (skip if not interested):
This joker has an amazing brain and high test scores and scholarships, etc., but totally failed out of his first semester in college. Why? He never even took his book out of the shrink wrap! He only had 1 class and a lab b/c he was trying to get into a specialized program and was only allowed classes on that path and since he had completed his first year of college while still in high school (and did so with a 3.7 GPA), he only had those two classes to take. And, even though he signed up to retake those classes this semester, he dropped the ball again and didn't see the FA dept. to get the money squared away and THEY dropped HIM. Ugh! It's not like he can't hack the work - he just...well, I don't know what he was thinking, but anyway...

He is committed to getting an education and so he is moving forward with, what he says, 20/20 hindsight. Let's hope!

So - this kid - dropped his GPA a whole point and a half (still slightly above a 2.0) and he sees that his only option at this time is to get into BYU-I. Even the community schools around here have tougher requirements to get in.

Main story:
On the application is a question-
Are you affiliated with any group that currently advocates plural marriage?

I don't remember seeing this question before. Is this new?
Is this really a concern for the CES? Like, this is really a thing now?

Interesting if so.

DarkJedi

Re: New question on the CES school application?

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Jan 2018, 06:19

Sorry about your son's choices. Honestly it's not all that uncommon in the "everybody go to college" climate. Not every kid needs college or should go to college, and even for those who can, want to, and should, they are not always ready right then.

To answer the question, I don't recall seeing that question on the application in the past. All 4 of my kids went to BYU.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 12 Jan 2018, 06:51

I was in the YM program for years and quite a few of even the good YM "screw up a bit at the start of college" Many are able to get back on track.

That is interesting that this is on the form - or should I say "odd". In general the church seems to be doing everything it can to distance itself from polygamy. One of the newest threats is from the followers of Denver Snuffer and they don't think that Joseph Smith practiced polygamy. The FLDS under Warren Jeffs have put an extra dose of yuck over polygamy in most people's mouth. This is odd.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 12 Jan 2018, 07:30

Strange question. Maybe there was a problem with it at one point in that area so they are reacting to it. That's a question that's easy to say "no" to -- isn't it!
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 12 Jan 2018, 08:12

I don't think polygamy is an issue for most teenagers. They are just looking for "the one".

Just another tick mark on the "BYU-I is insane" in my book.

I had one of my kids that wasn't accepted into BYU Provo, but was accepted into BYU-I and they didn't want to go there. They said, "I hear it is like EFY and I am an RM!" My wife was pushing for it, but I knew BYU-I was not right for this kid. Maybe his brother could "tolerate" BYU-I and not get kicked out. I have a friend that had a child go to BYU-I, got a minor infraction and it just escalated because he wasn't being "humble enough". I was afraid this would happen with my child as they were the most likely of all my kids to argue back to us parents.