What's the holdup?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Re: What's the holdup?

Post by mom3 » 11 Jan 2018, 20:05

11 Jan 2018, 16:13
I saw an article yesterday that says missionary letters are being signed by Elder Nelson, so I think it's just the funeral courtesy that is holding it up.
Just for clarity, that would be the case even before the new President is ordained. As the most senior member of the Q12 (Q13 at present), RMN has been the actual leader of the Church since Jan 2.
True, On Own.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 12 Jan 2018, 09:27

nibbler wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 16:24
Heber13 wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 15:21
My theory is they have had a hard time getting in touch with nibbler as 1st counselor in the first presidency...so that is holding it up.
My first action would be to reduce church to 2 hours. No one wants that. Trust me.
You are supposed to say you want 4 hours of church. Then you get the call. You don't have to change it to 4...just tell others that is how righteous you are...more=better.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 12 Jan 2018, 10:00

Heber13 wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 09:27
You are supposed to say you want 4 hours of church. Then you get the call. You don't have to change it to 4...just tell others that is how righteous you are...more=better.
You may be on to something.

1) Announce a 4 hour block.
2) Get the promotion.
3) Get the strengthening the members committee to scour social media for members that are happy at the announcement of the 4 hour block.
4) Now that I've got my list of people to excommunicate... let "local matters" do whatever it is a local matters does. :angel: :twisted: :angel:

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 12 Jan 2018, 10:30

nibbler wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 16:24
Heber13 wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 15:21
My theory is they have had a hard time getting in touch with nibbler as 1st counselor in the first presidency...so that is holding it up.
My first action would be to reduce church to 2 hours. No one wants that. Trust me.
:lol: :clap:

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 12 Jan 2018, 14:21

nibbler wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 16:18
Guessing and speculation, my favorite thing.

Hinkley dates:
Jan 27 2008: Sunday
Feb 3 2008: Sunday

Monson dates:
Jan 2 2018: Tuesday

I don't know how things work, so I get to make stuff up. The Q15 meet on Tuesdays (I don't know if this is true). That's the first opportunity they get to "vote" and they do the deed the Sunday following the vote. Made up.

Hinckley dies on a Sunday. The Q15 can meet the following Tuesday to vote. The deed is done the Sunday after the Q15 vote.

Monson dies on a Tuesday at roughly 10PM (sometime after the weekly Q15 meeting). The Q15 meet to vote the following Tuesday (9th). The deed is done the Sunday after the vote (14th).

Or the funeral thing. Seems far more likely.
The funeral thing does seem likely. Also bear in mind that TSM's passing was closer to the New Year, which also complicates things.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 12 Jan 2018, 16:21

mom3 wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 18:01
In case anyone cares - this wait is giving me an ulcer.
Hi Mom3,
This change in presidency is the least I've cared out of all of them. I used to wonder anxiously who would be the new first presidency and who would be in the Q12. I genuinely hate to say that cynicism has creeped in and I think it will be more of the same. Although I can honestly say I will miss President Monson. He struck me as someone who cared about the person.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 12 Jan 2018, 20:31

RR...when you think back over the last 10 yrs since Hinckley passed...do you feel like much changed?

I'm wondering if much changes on the outside, or if we become cynical on the inside and don't think much changes. I think I'm thinking along similar lines as you regarding outlook on this change.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

mom3

Post by mom3 » 12 Jan 2018, 20:34

Hi Mom3,
This change in presidency is the least I've cared out of all of them. I used to wonder anxiously who would be the new first presidency and who would be in the Q12. I genuinely hate to say that cynicism has creeped in and I think it will be more of the same.
Road Runner - I think that is where the anxiety comes from. It's not from a hope for what's ahead. I want to get the bad news over with. It's like a root canal.

I need to hear it, ache for it, then move on.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 13 Jan 2018, 07:43

mom3 wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 20:34
Hi Mom3,
This change in presidency is the least I've cared out of all of them. I used to wonder anxiously who would be the new first presidency and who would be in the Q12. I genuinely hate to say that cynicism has creeped in and I think it will be more of the same.
Road Runner - I think that is where the anxiety comes from. It's not from a hope for what's ahead. I want to get the bad news over with. It's like a root canal.

I need to hear it, ache for it, then move on.
Well if it's any consolation, BKP's out of the running. I don't know if I could have taken a Packer presidency.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 13 Jan 2018, 07:56

They're just building up the suspense.
Heber13 wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 20:31
RR...when you think back over the last 10 yrs since Hinckley passed...do you feel like much changed?
Kinda. They let women pray during general conference now. I think that was new. They added a few women to attend an extra meeting or two. They made the women's session of GC seem like it was actually a part of general conference. They lowered the mission age for women, making missions an actual option for many women. Ward councils are more important than PEC. So tiny, tiny changes they were comfortable with. Probably not what a lot of people would like to see by they've got to run a 40 yard dash before they can run a marathon.

Maybe that's a part of it. They want to make such small, incremental changes that no one notices, not even the ward old guard grumpuses.