What's the holdup?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Heber13

What's the holdup?

Post by Heber13 » 11 Jan 2018, 14:49

President Hinckley died Jan 27 2008, and President Monson was ordained prophet 7 days later on Feb 3 2008.

President Monson died Jan 2 2018...it has now been 9 days.

What's taking so long to announce the new prophet? Should be any day now...right?

If anyone hears the news...keep us posted.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

On Own Now

Re: What's the holdup?

Post by On Own Now » 11 Jan 2018, 15:19

It's the funeral. The new FP isn't organized/announced until after the funeral out of respect to the prior Prophet. GBH's funeral was on Saturday, Feb 2, 2008 and the new FP was organized (TSM ordained) the next day (Sunday). The following day, the public announcement was made.

TSM's funeral is tomorrow (Jan 12, 2018). I suspect the FP will be reorganized and all ordained on Saturday with the announcement either that day or waiting until Monday.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 11 Jan 2018, 15:21

My theory is they have had a hard time getting in touch with nibbler as 1st counselor in the first presidency...so that is holding it up.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 11 Jan 2018, 15:33

FYI... I did a quick data analysis. The last Prophet/President ordained on a day other than Sunday was HBLee. Even in the case of GBH, he waited until Sunday, though the HWH funeral had been on Wednesday.

With that in mind, I think the best guess is that the new FP is ordained on Sunday (two days after the funeral) and announced on Monday. Other than recent tradition, though, there's no reason that it couldn't happen on Saturday.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 11 Jan 2018, 15:47

Cool.

Nibbler...stay close to your phone.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 11 Jan 2018, 16:13

I saw an article yesterday that says missionary letters are being signed by Elder Nelson, so I think it's just the funeral courtesy that is holding it up.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 11 Jan 2018, 16:18

Guessing and speculation, my favorite thing.

Hinkley dates:
Jan 27 2008: Sunday
Feb 3 2008: Sunday

Monson dates:
Jan 2 2018: Tuesday

I don't know how things work, so I get to make stuff up. The Q15 meet on Tuesdays (I don't know if this is true). That's the first opportunity they get to "vote" and they do the deed the Sunday following the vote. Made up.

Hinckley dies on a Sunday. The Q15 can meet the following Tuesday to vote. The deed is done the Sunday after the Q15 vote.

Monson dies on a Tuesday at roughly 10PM (sometime after the weekly Q15 meeting). The Q15 meet to vote the following Tuesday (9th). The deed is done the Sunday after the vote (14th).

Or the funeral thing. Seems far more likely.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 11 Jan 2018, 16:24

Heber13 wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 15:21
My theory is they have had a hard time getting in touch with nibbler as 1st counselor in the first presidency...so that is holding it up.
My first action would be to reduce church to 2 hours. No one wants that. Trust me.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 11 Jan 2018, 18:01

In case anyone cares - this wait is giving me an ulcer.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 11 Jan 2018, 18:27

mom3 wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 16:13
I saw an article yesterday that says missionary letters are being signed by Elder Nelson, so I think it's just the funeral courtesy that is holding it up.
Just for clarity, that would be the case even before the new President is ordained. As the most senior member of the Q12 (Q13 at present), RMN has been the actual leader of the Church since Jan 2.