I Pray You...Bear My Joy A While

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

I Pray You...Bear My Joy A While

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Jan 2018, 12:38

The following is a post on By Common Consent written in 2011. I thought of it while reading the most recent comments in the current thread about grief and mourning.

I think it is an important post, so I want to share it with everyone. Please excerpt from and/or comment on it.

https://bycommonconsent.com/2011/09/29/ ... oy-awhile/

From one of the comments, a statement that is worth considering, even if it isn't accurate in all cases:
I can see the roots of my dismissing others' happiness as naive and stupid is really my coveting it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DancingCarrot

Re: I Pray You...Bear My Joy A While

Post by DancingCarrot » 11 Jan 2018, 15:27

Wonderful link and highlighting of a comment. It was a new perspective that added some much appreciated depth.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons

mom3

Post by mom3 » 11 Jan 2018, 18:09

This is one of my favorites from BCC. Though I do have a binders worth that I have saved.

Thanks for reposting it.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 12 Jan 2018, 10:27

Thank you for posting this. I can do better at bearing others' joy.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 15 Jan 2018, 08:36

I believe this is one of the keys to a successful faith transition - learning how to accept the simple fact that real joy is different for individuals - and part of "comforting those who stand in need of comfort includes "bearing their joy", since their joy is what gives them comfort.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken