Lighthearted Look at Succession in the Presidency

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Lighthearted Look at Succession in the Presidency

Post by SilentDawning » 08 Jan 2018, 09:59

Always the joker and satirist, here is Kirby's take on what the church would look like if he were the prophet...

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/kirby/201 ... i-will-do/

It addresses a few of the issues we hear about all the time like women and the priesthood, and same sex issues, etcetera, but adds a few things we don't often talk about...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Roy

Re: Lighthearted Look at Succession in the Presidency

Post by Roy » 08 Jan 2018, 13:04

Maybe I am not in as humorous of a mood. I did not find this article as funny.

I suppose the mixture of serious topics like female ordination and SSM might not make for good joke topics.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 08 Jan 2018, 14:30

I thought it was pretty funny. I mean I'm a huge Kirby fan and I really like what he'd do. It would also probably result in the mass exodus of the kinds of people in the Church who drive me crazy.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Jan 2018, 15:09

I love Kirby, and I like this article - but I didn't find it funny, since I think he wrote it from a much more serious mindset than most of his posts.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 08 Jan 2018, 15:40

Curt Sunshine wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 15:09
I love Kirby, and I like this article - but I didn't find it funny, since I think he wrote it from a much more serious mindset than most of his posts.
Maybe that was it. I kept expecting the punch line. :lolno:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 11 Jan 2018, 08:07

For me, his humor is in his self-deprecation. He had another one where he talked about running the cub scouts, and how things went a lot better after the boys came down to his level. The whole premise of him becoming prophet was also amusing to me. But humor is like taste in food and music. Perhaps it's an indication of just how far gone I am!
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 12 Jan 2018, 17:10

Someone doctored up some video of Uchtdorf showing emotions as he supposedly is NOT brought into the presidency.

A bit irreverent for some, but good editing job.
https://www.dropshots.com/whitesalamand ... 1/08:09:12

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 12 Jan 2018, 20:19

That's a good read. Thanks SD!
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."