Superstitions

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Beefster

Superstitions

Post by Beefster » 08 Jan 2018, 08:45

I'd say the canonical example of LDS superstition is garments. What started as a friendly reminder of covenants became a talisman of protection that you must never take off unless you have to.

What other superstitions have you noticed?
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

Roy

Re: Superstitions

Post by Roy » 08 Jan 2018, 10:30

I was struck by the similarities between the LDS garment and the historical Ghost Shirt of the Lakota people. At the time, both the Mormons and the Lakota were marginalized and oppressed. There was a need for them to believe in a magically protective garment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_shirt

I suppose tales of Moroni, Cain, or the three Nephites are pretty big examples of urban legends or superstitions.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 08 Jan 2018, 10:42

Roy wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 10:30
I was struck by the similarities between the LDS garment and the historical Ghost Shirt of the Lakota people. At the time, both the Mormons and the Lakota were marginalized and oppressed. There was a need for them to believe in a magically protective garment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_shirt

I suppose tales of Moroni, Cain, or the three Nephites are pretty big examples of urban legends or superstitions.
It's thought the ghost shirt idea actually originated with the Mormons.

Be careful with this question, you'll get some bore who thinks the entire LDS is superstition.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Jan 2018, 15:39

Satan ruling the water, so no swimming for missionaries. (I like the policy. It is too easy for missionaries to have problems when swimming in many places. However, the devilish angle simply is a superstition left over from Greek mythology.)

"Face cards" being devilish - although that one is close to dead, I think, as my parents' generation is dying.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

BeJoyful

Post by BeJoyful » 08 Jan 2018, 21:29

Beefster wrote:I'd say the canonical example of LDS superstition is garments. What started as a friendly reminder of covenants became a talisman of protection that you must never take off unless you have to.

What other superstitions have you noticed?
"Avoiding the appearance of evil", no glass root beer bottles or to-go cups for hot cocoa.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 08 Jan 2018, 22:14

BeJoyful wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 21:29

"Avoiding the appearance of evil", no glass root beer bottles or to-go cups for hot cocoa.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Good one, Joyful! My mom used to scold us for pretending to smoke various cigarette-shaped objects (pencils, pretzels, etc.) and we had a rule, no "Big League Chew." :lol:

dande48

Post by dande48 » 08 Jan 2018, 22:21

That's a dangerous question to ask, on a place like this. I'm pretty sure there's a number of us who would describe "God", "the Priesthood", "Angels", "Prophecy", "Spirits", and/or "Judgement Day" as superstitions . I would (no tea, no shade).

Technically, any belief in a supernatural being, element, or event is a superstition by definition. God, Christ, Prophets, spirits, the whole shebang all fit into that category. That's not saying it can't be true. That's just believing in things beyond the laws of nature and scope of our scientific understanding. Religious beliefs are deeply personal, and are what help people cope with this crazy existance. I don't believe it's right, or effective, to look down on anyone for their superstitious (religious) beliefs, even if they do seem silly to us.
"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy. "
-Albert Campus

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 08 Jan 2018, 22:44

Curt Sunshine wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 15:39
However, the devilish angle simply is a superstition left over from Greek mythology.
Actually, it's probably derived from a passage in D&C that's taken out of context and misinterpreted. I forget the reference, but it's something along the lines of seeing the face of the devil in the water and avoiding it.

I've seen it debunked by orthodox members.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 09 Jan 2018, 08:16

Curt Sunshine wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 15:39
Satan ruling the water, so no swimming for missionaries. (I like the policy. It is too easy for missionaries to have problems when swimming in many places. However, the devilish angle simply is a superstition left over from Greek mythology.)
In my mind I made up a story about how Zion's Camp was traveling by canoe. JS wasn't the best with a canoe, he got in one, started flailing all over the place, almost capsizing into the river, and other people in the group made fun of him.

JS then told them that Satan was on the water to get them to stop laughing at him. It also had the added benefit that he could travel the rest of the way by land, avoiding further embarrassment.

Hey, it could happen. ;)
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.
― Rumi

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 09 Jan 2018, 08:21

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.
― Rumi