I'm glad I stayed for 2nd hour this week.

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Beefster

I'm glad I stayed for 2nd hour this week.

Post by Beefster » 31 Dec 2017, 17:31

I've been feeling very conflicted lately. Conflicted because of the things in the church that don't sit right with me that make me want to leave fighting against the feelings that I can't leave because that will make my mom very sad and the good of support I get within the church.

On my 30-min drive to church, I prayed that I could overcome this cognitive dissonance. I think I asked for a reason to stay or something like that. I want to either come to genuinely believe what I need to to be an active and involved member (however unorthodox that turns out to be- as long as I don't have to be intellectually dishonest and pretend to believe in things I don't just to benefit from the social aspects of the church) or come to be at peace with leaving and making my mom cry for months. And blame herself. Just like she does with my sister. I really don't want to do that to her unless I feel like I really have to.

I arrived about 5 minutes late, right in time for the opening hymn, "Who's on the Lord's Side?", which did not sit right with me, as it reeks of the us vs them mentality. The talks were okay. I sort of liked one of the missionaries' talks, as he was a convert and shared the outline of his conversion story (I love conversion stories btw) within the context of the PoS.

After sacrament, I was about to leave early because I simply didn't feel compelled to stay and I didn't feel my cog dis was resolved- why waste another 2 hours, right? But then I remembered that I was feeding the missionaries this week and I needed to confirm that. In a small and simple way, God intervened in the situation because they were already in the GP room setting up chairs. I stuck around a bit and talked with them until some people showed up. I didn't have a lesson prepared because I thought it was someone else's turn and I was hoping 5th Sunday would cover both hours.

It didn't. Nobody had a lesson prepared. One girl (the girl who I find ridiculously attractive) decided to take the reins and led a discussion. GP Lesson 42: The Gathering of Israel. So we read through it and talked. It was a fantastic discussion. One of the girls who usually attends GP is a liberal Mormon and a bit outspoken (she's taken, but I'm not physically attracted to her anyway, so it's all good) and at one point she commented that the church isn't perfect, and that it's different from the gospel. I was cheering inside. I made some similar comments as well. Liberal girl brought up the allegory of the olive tree and the scattering and grafting and pointed out that diversity in the church is good and it gives us perspective and prevents stagnation. The convert elder also mentioned a tree at BYU-I or something that has like 40 different fruit branches grafted into it. We talked about how culture can vary within the church and all sorts of things.

It was awesome. I took it as my reason to stay. Still not a resolution to my cog dis, but it's a step in the right direction.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: I'm glad I stayed for 2nd hour this week.

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Dec 2017, 18:54

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

One of the speakers in Sacrament Meeting in our ward mentioned a few times how each person has their own path and must walk that path in whatever way is right.

The water still hasn't reached the end of all rows, but it is flowing.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 31 Dec 2017, 21:26

Much better day than I had. Sacrament had a really nice older guy give a talk. He is 110% TBM and told everyone they were scum if they ever turned down a calling because each and every one comes directly from the Lord. Then I substituted in primary and it had a tough kid in the class. But they day was great since then (other than the fireworks sound like I am in a war zone right now. You can buy and shoot any of the consumer grade fireworks. I assume thousands of dollars are going off within a mile of me).

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 01 Jan 2018, 09:04

Church was interesting this Sunday. As we talked about the importance of New Jerusalem being established in Missouri, and as I wondered how that was relevant to my life, it dawned on me... I don't need this, but apparently the people in this room really do. It's very important to them, it's where they place their hopes. I had felt that way before but this time it really sunk in.

Also, the instructor asked if anyone needed the student pamphlet for the Old Testament that we'll be studying next year.

"No, I still have mine from 1998."
As soon as you set foot on a yacht you belong to some man, not to yourself, and you die of boredom.
-Coco Chanel

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 01 Jan 2018, 11:21

I walked out of SM in another ward when a speaker claimed all callings were from God.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 01 Jan 2018, 11:22

Curt Sunshine wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 18:54
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

One of the speakers in Sacrament Meeting in our ward mentioned a few times how each person has their own path and must walk that path in whatever way is right.

The water still hasn't reached the end of all rows, but it is flowing.
I think thankfully we've left the hypercorrelation age.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 02 Jan 2018, 07:00

This Sunday we made it for all 3 meetings. It was good to be among people who are working on being my friend. My husband was telling one of those people about his week and some of the stuff he has been working on - and how I advised him to focus on asking God what HE needed to be working on NOW - and go from there. Since I look up to the person he was talking to, it was extra nice to hear him thinking it was worth sharing.

Also got the opportunity to relay to him the message that just as children go through developmental processes (we have a 16 month old as a living physical example of this), people go through spiritual developmental processes. I was also able to tell him that there is a theological researcher named Fowler who has studied and described these processes - and the very broad strokes between Stage 3 and Stage 4. I am setting the foundation so that if he has a Faith Transition I can help him steady himself, and if/when I ever figure out where I am in the process, I may let him in safely.

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 02 Jan 2018, 09:11

SamBee wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 11:21
I walked out of SM in another ward when a speaker claimed all callings were from God.
I've walked out on a stake meeting before. I don't remember what he said that ticked me off but I think it had to do with marriage and it made it seem as if I was the one at fault for being single still. It might have been something else, perhaps on exact obedience or implying that being yourself is bad.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Jan 2018, 09:18

Beefster wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 09:11
SamBee wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 11:21
I've walked out on a stake meeting before. I don't remember what he said that ticked me off but I think it had to do with marriage and it made it seem as if I was the one at fault for being single still. It might have been something else, perhaps on exact obedience or implying that being yourself is bad.
I put my unmarried state down to three things - my looks, my personality and my mental health. Of these I can do something about my personality and only a little about the other two.