Charity Vending Machines at Temple Square

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Charity Vending Machines at Temple Square

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Dec 2017, 13:46

I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Re: Charity Vending Machines at Temple Square

Post by nibbler » 30 Dec 2017, 08:10

:thumbup:

Before reading I thought this was going to be about sticking a $20 in a vending machine so the next person that comes along doesn't have to pay. "What does that accomplish?"

I'm glad they had a bigger imagination than I did.

:thumbup:

dande48

Post by dande48 » 30 Dec 2017, 09:31

I was thinking it would be like one of Panera's "Community Cafes", where folks can pay full price, or a partial price, or even get a free meal if they can't afford it.

That IS Super cool though. One thing about the Church I really appreciate, is I DO trust them (for the most part) with my charitable donations. Other organizations have too big of an overhead, with CEOs making in 7-figure salaries. With other organizations, when you "buy" specific items as a donation, it all really just goes to a huge fund the heads divvy out however they feel. Not sure if the Church is doing the same here, but I feel more confident in it actually going towards a good cause.
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 30 Dec 2017, 11:16

One thing about the Church I really appreciate, is I DO trust them (for the most part) with my charitable donations. Other organizations have too big of an overhead, with CEOs making in 7-figure salaries. With other organizations, when you "buy" specific items as a donation, it all really just goes to a huge fund the heads divvy out however they feel. Not sure if the Church is doing the same here, but I feel more confident in it actually going towards a good cause.
I think that's a good point.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Dec 2017, 19:04

Each of the five machines is dedicated to a specific charity - one of five organizations to which the donations go. The machines are identified as being for those charities. (CARE, Water Aid, Water for People, Eyecare 4 Kids, and the Utah Food Bank)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 01 Jan 2018, 08:37

I get the sense that people give more to charity when there are prizes/souvenirs/theatrics involved. I don't think this is a bad thing at all- so long as it isn't commercialized (people tend to pay more for something when part of the proceeds go to charity- for example: Toms shoes are about 10x the cost they should be considering the quality, but people will pay big money to virtue signal that they're helping poor people on the other side of the world. A lot of it is profit even after donating a pair across the world.). Helping those in need is great and I like that the church is supporting charities other than itself.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Roy

Post by Roy » 02 Jan 2018, 10:56

One of my complaints has been that the giving in the church is so impersonal and non-transparent.

In some other churches they have a giving drive to raise money to buy a church van for a specific church in Romania or South Africa. There is a feeling of being tied to those churches and the good that they do.

With the LDS church I can make a humanitarian donation on my tithing slip but it can be hard to feel connected to the final good that is being done.

I personally feel that these charity vending machines are helping individuals to feel connected to the good that is being done through the giving - and that is something to be celebrated!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roy

Post by Roy » 02 Jan 2018, 11:12

Beefster wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 08:37
I get the sense that people give more to charity when there are prizes/souvenirs/theatrics involved. I don't think this is a bad thing at all- so long as it isn't commercialized
I remember getting a letter in the mail from the BYU alumni association. It was a request for donations for the association to provide scholarships. There was a letter with a picture of a young woman that had needed and received a scholarship. She talked about how she was accepted into the school but did not have the money to pay. How she did everything she could, applied for every program she could, and then left it to God. The scholarship was an answer to prayer. She regarded the money as a sacred trust, a vote of confidence in her ability but also a responsibility to not squander the gift. She went on a mission with a desire to give back, because she had been given much. She married in the temple to a wonderful young man. She graduated in a field that will allow her to continue making an important contribution and giving back to her community and the world. Now she is writing this letter to thank those that believed in her.

I usually throw these kinds of letters into the trash as junk mail but I was moved. DW and I made a donation that day. I can appreciate the benefit of prizes/souvenirs/theatrics to help the individual giver feel good about the donation and to remember that feeling.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 03 Jan 2018, 19:04

I loved this concept. Even though I live in the Salt Lake area and could easily have gone down to Temple Square and donated something, I'm ashamed to say that I didn't. Next year though... FOR SURE!
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~