Missionaries behind closed doors

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Missionaries behind closed doors

Post by Curt Sunshine » 17 Dec 2017, 13:30

^This.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 17 Dec 2017, 14:10

I'm going to say that I rather enjoyed the time when it was just "us" in our apartments. The best part of my mission was when I lived in an apartment (flat to us) with another companionship. Those "let down your hair" moments to just be young guys hanging out together got me through some tough times.

BTW, we did once get chewed out by our district leader. I still hear him saying "What will the neighbors think?" (Yes, he really said that along with lots of other stuff which we laughed off.)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 19 Dec 2017, 15:01

Yeah, although I loved the people, I also really felt the camaraderie of my fellow missionaries. I'm still good friends with several of them, and I married one of them!

I remember one day when I was on splits with another sister, one of my good friends. We were both hating our area (hence the splits), and we talked about blowing off the rest of the day and going to the south of the island to the sand dunes and burger joint. We didn't go, but somehow talking about wishing we could while looking out at the ocean waves crashing in made the rest of the day more bearable.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Dec 2017, 16:46

hawkgrrrl wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 15:01
Yeah, although I loved the people, I also really felt the camaraderie of my fellow missionaries. I'm still good friends with several of them, and I married one of them!

I remember one day when I was on splits with another sister, one of my good friends. We were both hating our area (hence the splits), and we talked about blowing off the rest of the day and going to the south of the island to the sand dunes and burger joint. We didn't go, but somehow talking about wishing we could while looking out at the ocean waves crashing in made the rest of the day more bearable.
Wasn't it the Canaries you went to, if I recall correctly?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 19 Dec 2017, 17:39

Yep, 1989-90.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Dec 2017, 17:44

hawkgrrrl wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 17:39
Yep, 1989-90.
I think I remember you talking about it. Very hot... vacation spot for much of Europe, so there are worse, wetter & colder places to be
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 20 Dec 2017, 06:45

I served 2001-2002 in South Carolina Columbia mission.
I got the "tricky" sisters - including being a senior companion to a senior single sister 40+ years older than I was. My trainee found out the night before that she was staying in an area to train me rather than go to Myrtle Beach (even though she did not want to train and wanted to leave the area - especially going to Myrtle Beach). I also wound up moving around a lot (7 areas in 9 months), and 9 areas total.

My experience overall was when it was great it was absolutely amazing. When it did not work so well, it was horrible. With my first "tricky" companion, she induced so much anxiety in me at times that I was sick to my stomach. I remember we had a fight about something, and I wound up dry heaving in the restroom. She heard me, and the awkward conversation we had with me in the restroom and her outside the door was rather memorable - but it may have been what she needed to get it through her skull that her actions had consequences for others.
The senior sister "tricky" companion left the mission the same day I did. I told the mission president in our interviews before I left that I did not want to go on the same plane ride with her and that I was NOT sitting next to her if we were on the same plane ride. He made calming noises to shut me up because we were logically scheduled to sit next to each other on the plane ride home (being the only sisters going home that day). When I found this out at the airport, I refused to sit next to her on the airplane and made one of my elder friends go instead. The best I could do than and still do to this day understand that she came from a different generation then I did with her own struggles and baggage and try to love her even when she is not acting lovable.

I did see some of my companions become better people that had more faith in Jesus Christ and learned some humility (they needed it) theoretically because of my love and example (they attribute their understanding to my example - the verdict is still out on my side).

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 20 Dec 2017, 14:59

Amy, my parents served in the South Carolina Columbia mission. I can't remember the years, but it would have been around the years you were there, give or take a few. They were in Spartanburg and another "burg" (can't remember the name of the town).

Their mission literally was a miracle, in more ways than one, and they absolutely loved the people there.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 26 Dec 2017, 08:57

My mission (Spokane, 2012-2014) taught me that missionaries ARE human. When they aren't acting human, I get suspicious. Not as if they're doing something wrong, but I just don't trust them or like them as much.

People need to lower their expectations of missionary behavior. They don't belong on a pedestal and they really are much happier and more effective when they can be human.

I had my antics as a missionary. There was a day where we played Settlers of Catan during lunch with the APs. I gave horsey rides to the youngest daughter of the family I lived with. (They saw our human side more than anyone else did) There were plenty of other things. I talked a lot about sex and girls or video games with the companions who were willing.

Now, when I have the missionaries over for dinner, I do my best to make sure they know they can relax (without saying it exactly that way) and I just try to have a good time with them. As far as I'm concerned, it is their dinner break and it needs to feel like one.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

NightSG

Post by NightSG » 29 Dec 2017, 08:10

Beefster wrote:
26 Dec 2017, 08:57
Now, when I have the missionaries over for dinner, I do my best to make sure they know they can relax (without saying it exactly that way)
You know, maybe answering the door in a beer-holder helmet with a Marlboro Light hanging out of your mouth is a bit too much, though. Could have the opposite effect by making them suspect they're being set up.