Priests to be able to perform baptisms for the dead

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Priests to be able to perform baptisms for the dead

Post by nibbler » 14 Dec 2017, 16:13

Effective next year:

1) Priests will be able to perform and be witnesses to vicarious baptisms. Vicarious gift of the HG is still MP only.

2) Young women (12 - 18) will be able to hand out the towels.

3) They are ditching priesthood preview and replacing it with temple and PH preparation, to which both 11 year old girls and boys are invited.

mom3

Re: Priests to be able to perform baptisms for the dead

Post by mom3 » 14 Dec 2017, 16:14

Young women (12 - 18) will be able to hand out the towels.
Right where we should be. Brigham Young would be pleased.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Dec 2017, 16:34

I'm not understanding this... does this mean teenage boys (under 18) will be able to baptise and witness?

They're actually doing a lot of temple reform. Getting rid of the gown in initiatory too.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 14 Dec 2017, 16:38

Yes, priests (16-18) and presumably any MP holder that hasn't yet received the endowment, can perform the temple baptism ordinance itself or be a witness to said ordinance.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 14 Dec 2017, 19:06

Just curious, but any idea why the change? Were they not finding enough adult volunteers to go with the youth? I don't fully understand why those rules were put in place, so that could be why I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the change.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 14 Dec 2017, 19:55

I can only guess.

1) To cover the needs. How often has this happened in your quorum:

We need nine (or whatever it's up to now) priesthood brethren that are endowed to help with our youth baptism night. Are there any volunteers? Ok, that's seven. Are there any more? Bueller... Bueller.

2) I think leaders also view it as something that will help with youth retention. This will give the youth experiences of serving in the temple and maybe the thought is that will make them more likely to serve missions and stay active once they turn 18.

3) It gets the priests going back to the temple. Nearly every time I help with baptisms it's always the kids that are 12-15, there are hardly ever priests or laurels. That's due in part because the ward baptism night is billed as something for deacons, teachers, beehives, and mia maids while the priests and laurels do their own separate activity. It may be a way to signal to local leaders that the 16-18 year olds should be prioritizing baptism night.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 14 Dec 2017, 21:31

It's getting fantastic mileage on BCC - https://bycommonconsent.com/2017/12/14/ ... witnesses/

Everyone is just loving it.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 14 Dec 2017, 23:43

Trying but tone deaf.

The part that bothers me is 16 year old boys baptizing 14 year old girls. Also girls attending priesthood prep - really?

Always Thinking

Post by Always Thinking » 15 Dec 2017, 11:15

In a way, it would be cool for the 16-18 year old boys to be able to perform the baptisms (I would imagine they would feel like they were even more involved in the movement of the church and bringing souls to God), but I can't help but remember my days as a youth. I'm a girl and I remember feeling a bit vulnerable going into the water with a man while I was in a jumpsuit. If the leader who was baptising me was attractive, I was distracted by it. I can't imagine having boys my age being in there with me. I had a lot of crushes in high school and I can totally imagine being super giddy (I guess is the word) if the guy I had a crush on was holding me and dunking me under the water. I would have been so distracted. I would imagine the boy would be distracted too if he was holding a girl he had a crush on. Who knows though, maybe it'll get more youth to participate

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 15 Dec 2017, 11:57

You only require the Aaronic Priesthood to baptize in churches - I did this myself once. It just brings the temple into line.

All in all this is a good thing I think. Young men baptising young women? Well, you think our official missionaries never get crushes? I'm sure they do.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."