Two Guests for Christmas

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Two Guests for Christmas

Post by Roy » 14 Dec 2017, 11:48

My MIL sent us the following article to keep in our family binder (they also sent the family binder to us in a previous mailing as a handy place to keep all the articles that they mail to us. :lolno: )

https://www.lds.org/new-era/2017/12/two ... s?lang=eng

The article speaks of a family tradition of celebrating JS on 12/23, his birth and his contributions to our understanding of the life and mission of JC.

This strikes me as something that would give reason to those individuals that claim that we worship JS. Almost like an attempt to Shoehorn JS into the Christmas season.

Now, Richard M. Romney is not a G.A. It appears from his LinkedIn page that he has spent most of his life working in church publications (managing editor of New Era Magazine from 1977-2010) Where does this fall in the realm of church doctrine, accepted culture, and norms?

Is it just a quirky holiday tradition of one family? Minus 10 doctrine points

Does the family name matter? Plus 5 Doctrine points

Does the fact that it was shared by a non-GA matter? Minus 15 doctrine points

Does the fact that it was published in a church magazine matter? Plus 10 doctrine points

Does the fact that the author is a senior member of the church magazine department for almost 40 years matter? Plus 5 doctrine points

Does the fact that this article was sent to me by my MIL and I want her to mind her own business matter? ;) Minus 25 doctrine points

Just kidding with that last one .... sort of.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

AmyJ

Re: Two Guests for Christmas

Post by AmyJ » 14 Dec 2017, 13:27

No, so no. <full-stop>

Of course, I am of the opinion that if Jesus Christ's birthday is actually in April as reported by revelation, then we should be celebrating his birthday in April <literalist minority that I am> - I don't feel that showing love by celebrating a person's birthday 3 months after the fact works...

Now, I get that Christ's birthday is not moving from December for a variety of reasons, and some of them I see the sense in. I am even looking at becoming expansive enough to celebrate Christmas all year around - and tone down my Christmas expenditures so that they can be scattered throughout the year...

I can even respect why other people might make a bigger deal of JS's birthday - but that is not me.

I would conveniently "lose" the article, feed it to something that would find it tasty (like the paper shredder) and do social niciety lying if it came up. If you got pinned in place to talk about it, I would re-direct to celebrating Christ's birth as soon as possible (if that is palatable).

This probably one of those weird cultural things like a lot of our Christmas trappings (or this writer of the article wants it to be part of the trappings).
Last edited by AmyJ on 14 Dec 2017, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 14 Dec 2017, 13:37

Like Amy, I'd just ignore it and throw it away. My in-laws are uber-conservative and often name drop the many GAs that they know and it makes me crazy. MIL often says deeply uncomfortable things to my kids like "the only Christmas present I want is for you all to be active in the church" while starting to cry. We all just smile and as soon as we are in the car we laugh it off. Maybe I'm too cynical but she has no sense of propriety so I figure it evens out.

On a side note my sister bakes a birthday cake on Christmas Eve with one candle and they all sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. It's kind of wacky but whatever works. Maybe I'll suggest she bake a cake for JS also.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 14 Dec 2017, 14:54

Roy, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. Nursing homes for people with cognitive impairments cost nearly twice as much as regular nursing homes. :twisted: :angel:

In the past I've heard anecdotal stories of ward Christmas parties that took on a "Merry Smithmas" theme. You'd show up and people would dress like pioneers and there would be pictures of JS all over the place. I haven't heard of that happening lately but it is a thing.

Going in line with current themes we've had locally, I expect this week's SM (the one before Christmas Eve) to focus on JS because it's his birthday. The Christmas SM will be the traditional readings from Luke 2 mixed with carols that we always do - but this week is fair game.

It's funny. We set ourselves up for the fall don't we? Make such a big deal out of the Paul Bunyans and Bill Braskys of our past, almost to the point of deification, then when we discover they weren't mythical, they were just regular humans, it shakes us... and then we get reprimanded for developing a testimony in the wrong thing. Here's our chance to nip it in the bud before it gets started. This, this right here, is where "testimony of the wrong thing" begins.
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold
-Jesus

mom3

Post by mom3 » 14 Dec 2017, 17:49

I expect this week's SM (the one before Christmas Eve) to focus on JS because it's his birthday
Dear lord, No!!!

This will make the weekend a full wipe out. Our Ward Christmas Party is twist on the Grinch story. Except Cindy Loo Woo teaches the Grinch that Jesus is the Reason for the Season. (I eavesdropped in the bathroom).

I can't do Smithmas. I refuse. I even have a few things I like about the guy. But I am with Amy. If we are Smithmassing, then Da@# it all - I want to sing Silent Night in April.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

dande48

Post by dande48 » 14 Dec 2017, 19:16

I've got my reservations about Joseph Smith Day, but at least it's not Columbus day! Oh, wait... don't we revere him as a spiritual paragon too?

I think it'd be easy to toss this aside, saying JS wouldn't approve of his birthday taking away from the celebration of Christ.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 14 Dec 2017, 19:40

I’ve never been in a ward that talks much about JS in December - thankfully. However I was in a ward that in Sacrament Meeting spoke about year supply on Easter.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 15 Dec 2017, 06:33

mom3 wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 17:49
I can't do Smithmas. I refuse. I even have a few things I like about the guy. But I am with Amy. If we are Smithmassing, then Da@# it all - I want to sing Silent Night in April.
In our home, we do sing "Silent Night" in April, in June, in October... whenever we feel like it. We do bow to social convention outside the home and not play/sing it...usually.

When I co-taught our Pathways class in October on the Isaiah chapters of 2 Nephi, I insisted on singing "Silent Night" as the opening hymn because 1) It would bring the Spirit, 2) It would shake things up for the students, and 3) tied in clearly with the lesson because those chapters quote the Isaiah prophecies about Jesus Christ. Everyone thought it was a little "quirky" but sang with good gusto.

The soundtrack to "The Nativity Story" (2006) has become one of our staple Sunday listening while getting ready for church...

mom3

Post by mom3 » 15 Dec 2017, 12:17

The soundtrack to "The Nativity Story" (2006) has become one of our staple Sunday listening while getting ready for church...
I love that movie.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 15 Dec 2017, 13:01

The movie really speaks to me - different scenes and whatnot.

But I find the soundtrack breath-taking and a source for inspiration worthy of (though not limited to) the Sabbath.