Gospel Principles class?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Holy Cow

Re: Gospel Principles class?

Post by Holy Cow » 08 Dec 2017, 15:55

Heber13 wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 11:38
Holy Cow wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 09:47
I'm fine having my own doubts and questions, but I don't want to be the cause of derailing somebody else if they're perfectly happy.
HC...don't you kind of think also that the level of thinking you are at is really hard to address in a 40min class anyway? I'm not sure exactly what are some examples you might have or think of...but it seems to me like things like "Polygamy" or "Printing Press" are of specific detailed church history stuff...those aren't really in the GP class curriculum.
I see what you're saying, but the questions that I wish I could ask in GP aren't deep doctrinal questions. They're questions and doubts about mormon-specific doctrines at a very basic level. Thinking back to specific topics that I had a hard time sitting through: Priesthood, Temple Marriage, Tithing, Missionary Work, Eternal Families, Gathering of the House of Israel. These are all topics in the GP class that made me uncomfortable, even at the most basic level. I sat through them, not saying anything, but wishing I could. Most of the time, I prefer GP over GD. But, GP still has certain lessons that bother me.
Years ago, I attended the Temple Prep class to break things up, and had the same problem. I understood the material, but couldn't really ask questions because there was a new family in the class getting ready to go through for the first time. I talked with the bishop and the teacher about the possibility of taking the class on my own, so we could talk about some of the deeper stuff. They both thought it was a great idea, and planned for it after the current set of lessons was done. But, when the next session restarted, I went into the class excited to have some real conversations, and they had invited another member to attend who was just coming back to church and starting to prepare to go to the temple for the first time. :roll:
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 09 Dec 2017, 09:12

Ya...I know what you mean. Some of the lessons bother me too. And sometimes there just isn't a way to ask or express those things with others in there.

Eternal families was one I was teaching....I simply asked everyone how it all works for me... sealed, divorced, remarried. How does my eternal family work?

I got lots of answers. Some I didn't like.

I kind of felt like the class was for people to voice their feelings. Not sure there are answers...other than...it will get worked out.

But i do hear lots of people in the ward acknowledge things get messy, life has variation, it's not all gospel roses and happily ever afters.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 Dec 2017, 14:40

I tend to like Gospel Essentials, since it is easier to have a conversation about general principles and Gospel basics. My wife and I have attended that class off and on for years.

In the end, however, it does boil down to how the teacher handles it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 12 Dec 2017, 17:11

I wouldn't recommend it. First of all, you are an established member -- right? As a WML or missionary, I wouldn't 'want established members bringing up all this stuff that could hurt my believing investigators. The rule that church is for building faith applies in Gospel Doctrine too. Also, a principle that I abide by now is that doubts shouldn't be shared locally. There is too much risk of negative outcomes ranging from indifference to discipline or restrictions of some kind. We have seen all shades of it here over the years. This is the best place to share doubts and issues and work through them as there is no censure. Avoid going public at the local level at all costs...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 26 Dec 2017, 08:40

There's not much I can really add to what has already been said.

On the one hand, because it's focused on simple core doctrine for new members, it gives you a chance to take a look at your own foundation and separate out what you believe from what you do not.

On the other hand, the intended audience makes it difficult to ask the questions you really want to ask. I don't say as much as I usually do in class on the weeks I don't teach.

I agree that there are lessons I do not like- most of the same ones as everyone else. I pretty much ignored the part of the LoC lesson about homosexuality when I taught it. The discussion was great.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.