Most of our life is childhood

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Most of our life is childhood

Post by SamBee » 18 Nov 2017, 12:22

In another post I mention infantile amnesia - our general ability to forget our earliest childhood.

However, what about the rest? It's no secret time goes faster as you age. But as children we remember huge long summers, and school seems to last forever.

Also what happens in our childhood shapes us. If I verbally abuse any of you now, or worse, physically assault you, it will be an unpleasant experience, but it won't be "magnetized" quite like it would when you were nine.

As someone once said, we live half our lives before adulthood. I agree, whether we reach forty, sixty, eighty or a hundred, much of our lives took place then.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Most of our life is childhood

Post by Curt Sunshine » 18 Nov 2017, 12:47

There is a reason our early years are called our formative years.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Re: Most of our life is childhood

Post by nibbler » 18 Nov 2017, 19:01

Are we even physically capable of remembering things as infants? Like we're still in the process of assembling our tape recorder and once it's built we still don't have much experience with using the tapes.
SamBee wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 12:22
However, what about the rest? It's no secret time goes faster as you age. But as children we remember huge long summers, and school seems to last forever.
Context/perspective. Summer was super long when I was a kid because one summer made up a larger percentage of my lived life than it does now. One summer when I was 8 years old was like 4% of my entire life. Now one summer is closer to a half percent.

As a kid we experience new things that help us mark the passage of time. As we age we get to a point where we've seen it all, there's less discovery, one day starts to bleed into another. Plus as a kid there are fewer responsibilities. If I had the luxury of not having to work for 3 months in the summer I'd probably feel like summers were longer but as it is, I'm at work, quickly moving from one mortgage payment to another.

But time doesn't slow down any for retirees. :think:

Living a routine probably shortens our perception of time.