Pathways Courses - Return and Report

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
AmyJ

Pathways Courses - Return and Report

Post by AmyJ » 15 Sep 2017, 06:08

I started the Pathways program officially this week. Last week we had an orientation/introductions.

NOTES:
It is set up with 2 internet classes and 1 "gathering" - support group. No one from your support group is in either of your internet classes. No one else is in both of your internet classes. The courses are structured to integrate pretty seamlessly with the "gathering" meeting - which is where you can catch up/ask questions about the classes (or be officially bored having completed the assignments and working on next week's assignments as well). At least for our first meeting, we were working at the least common denominator - making sure that everyone could login successfully.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCES: [I am a good student, and I am rumored to be a decent, but unconventional teacher for R.S. classes. They stuck me in Primary for years on end to teach, so I am probably not a half-bad teacher.)

There is a lot of "TBM" stuff floating around. As a hobby, I look around the class and try to see if anyone else might be a more "nuanced" member - I know they are out there. So far, I haven't seen anyone. In our gathering group of 30, there is a R.S. President, a R.S. 1st Counselor, a Primary President, and a R.S. Teacher. There are probably more callings I don't know about.
On the online classes, maybe 20% of them are either pre-missionary, or just returned from a mission. People are from all over the globe, with the majority being the UT/AZ area.
The majority of students are female, and probably over 40.
The first coursework for the online classes was your basic rules/getting to know the program/introduction stuff.

SilentDawning

Re: Pathways Courses - Return and Report

Post by SilentDawning » 16 Sep 2017, 10:17

Please keep us up to date!
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 18 Sep 2017, 06:52

Hello,
I plan to keep y'all up to date.

NOTE: I forgot to mention that my first impression of the Pathways course is that the General Studies class is focused on producing good teachers/improving teaching methods. I am beginning to wonder if one of the lesser (and unstated) goals of the program is to improve the teaching skills of the students so that the church gains better teachers on Sundays. My sister went through Pathways and then got married before transferring to BYU-I and dropping out of college and into the insurance industry. There are a few pre-mission (awaiting papers) students in both of my online classes, and there are some in the other class at my building. There are a smattering of moms with young kids in my classes, so they might become better teachers and have plenty of time serving in the auxiliaries still.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 18 Sep 2017, 11:28

AmyJ wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 06:52
Hello,
I plan to keep y'all up to date.

NOTE: I forgot to mention that my first impression of the Pathways course is that the General Studies class is focused on producing good teachers/improving teaching methods. I am beginning to wonder if one of the lesser (and unstated) goals of the program is to improve the teaching skills of the students so that the church gains better teachers on Sundays. My sister went through Pathways and then got married before transferring to BYU-I and dropping out of college and into the insurance industry. There are a few pre-mission (awaiting papers) students in both of my online classes, and there are some in the other class at my building. There are a smattering of moms with young kids in my classes, so they might become better teachers and have plenty of time serving in the auxiliaries still.
It wouldn't surprise me if there was an underlying church motive. Also, trying to help people get an education so they can get better jobs and not be on assistance. This is one bit of church agenda-izing that I welcome, quite frankly.

I am still reminded or GBH comment that the church is big on education because it "increases members capacity to serve in the church".
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

gospeltangents

Post by gospeltangents » 18 Sep 2017, 12:49

"improve the teaching skills of the students so that the church gains better teachers on Sundays."

That's a goal I can get behind!
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 07 Feb 2018, 14:22

Hi folks,
The first trimester finished up just before Christmas and I forgot to give ya'll the update.

We made it through!

I find myself applying what Silver Dawning taught me about gospel teaching and some of the things learned in the General Skills class when I teach.

Now we are doing the 2nd half of the BoM and Math. It's really cool that they have online math tutors assigned for each class and made it clear how to contact them. Also, the course is set up so that if you get less than 60% on a test (with multiple attempts allowed in some circumstances) the instructors make sure that you work with a tutor AND get a chance to improve your grade before the end of the trimester.

Being in the religious classes allows cognitive dissonance to grate at an individual's nerves, but I expected that - so was quasi-prepared for it. Being here is a HUGE HELP because it provides additional perspectives and a safe space to vent if I need it. I could not do this without you my friends here!

Roy

Post by Roy » 07 Feb 2018, 15:47

Congratulations! Glad to be of help!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 07 Feb 2018, 16:56

Glad to hear it is going well.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 07 Feb 2018, 23:25

Miss Amy you add much to our conversations, too.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman