Logical argument for male-exclusive Priesthood authority

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
squarepeg

Re: Logical argument for male-exclusive Priesthood authority

Post by squarepeg » 08 Oct 2017, 19:25

hawkgrrrl wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 10:44
I call this the Dorothy Defense for female ordination, like when Glenda the Good Witch tells Dorothy at the end of the Wizard of Oz that she had the ability to go home all along. If I'm Dorothy, after being attacked by Flying Monkeys, having my friends tortured, and the pee scared out of me by some fake wizard, I would punch that broad right in the mouth.
:clap:

Falcon20Commander

Post by Falcon20Commander » 09 Oct 2017, 04:17

Was there not a prophetess in the Old Testament? Deborah right?

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 09 Oct 2017, 05:48

There's a prophetess named Hulda during the time of Jeremiah at the end of King Josiah's reign.

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 09 Oct 2017, 13:37

Yeah, I keep telling the kids, whenever this comes up, that it's just a matter of time; it will happen. If people aren't ready for it and changing the policy would hurt more people than it helps (because people are not perfect and are in many ways products of the culture in which they're raised, for better or worse), that maybe that's good enough justification for slow change. But I really can only conclude at this point that it is just because of our patriarchal culture that women don't currently hold the Priesthood, and that if we were all more spiritually-guided rather than culturally-guided, the policy would change right now. (Although, on a personal level, I don't feel a need to wait for policy change as far as my own family goes. I could comfortably give a laying-on-of-hands blessing to a member of my family today and invoke God's power and feel no guilt or blasphemy.)

mormonheretic
Site Admin

Post by mormonheretic » 09 Oct 2017, 14:20

In the Catholic BIble, there's a woman named Jael who cuts off an enemy's head--kind of a female war hero.