Primary Kid count

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
amateurparent

Primary Kid count

Post by amateurparent » 18 Jun 2017, 07:48

I am sitting in church with DH for Father's Day. The entire primary is singing a song. There are 10 children up singing. TEN. Our last ward had a similarily sized primary.

How about your ward? How many children do you see?
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

DarkJedi

Re: Primary Kid count

Post by DarkJedi » 18 Jun 2017, 08:22

Our ward has aged. When we first came here almost 30 years ago the ward was young, growing, and business was booming. Over time a major industry moved away and kids grew up. Our ward is now about half the size it was then, but our Primary is much smaller. When they're all here there's about 15. Once there were over 50. Just the way the demographics are here. Some other wards in our stake have very large Primaries, some have small ones.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 18 Jun 2017, 11:08

Ours is huge. Has been all these years. We are a family rich area here. 5 ward splits and I have lived in the same house. Always large primaries.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 18 Jun 2017, 11:35

In my home ward (growing suburb nowhere near Utah) we have always had something just shy of 100. Visiting a ward near Utah today and there were only 14 - 7 boys and 7 girls. My ward has 2 single disabled people in their 70's and one couple this is still kicking around well in their early 70's. We don't hardly have anybody in their 60's. It is interesting how different wards can be. The ward I visited today most everyone is retired. They must have said 10 times "you should serve an elderly couples mission!!!!" I have not heard that in my ward in years.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 18 Jun 2017, 11:37

Roughly 50 - similar to the other ward in town. There would be more, but we just had 4-5 families with kids move out of the ward.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Jun 2017, 15:36

amateurparent wrote:
18 Jun 2017, 07:48
I am sitting in church with DH for Father's Day. The entire primary is singing a song. There are 10 children up singing. TEN. Our last ward had a similarily sized primary.

How about your ward? How many children do you see?
About the same. A lot of people move in and out of our ward.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 19 Jun 2017, 15:56

I do a poor job of estimating numbers of people. I'd be good at coming up with BoM battle estimates. "A million people died." <someone counts them> "Uh, there's only 1,532 people among the dead."

My ward, I'd guess... 40?

But there are some wards in our stake with three million primary kids. They're in those wards that cover all the areas where the young hip couples live.
Of course I don’t want to get knocked down. But the single and sole solution to that fear is to not go anywhere where I can be knocked down. And is that not already being knocked down?
― Craig D. Lounsbrough