Sense of Place

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Re: Sense of Place

Post by SilentDawning » 17 Jun 2017, 04:02

To answer Roy's question, what is a sense of place, here is a quote from Sam Bee's links that describes it...
"A sense of place is a unique collection of qualities and characteristics – visual, cultural, social, and environmental – that provide meaning to a location. Sense of place is what makes one city or town different from another, but sense of place is also what makes our physical surroundings worth caring about."
I think Utah DEFINITELY has this -- all the Mormon Heritage, temples all over the place, the Brigham Young statue downtown and church influence everywhere.

What I've been doing in the non-profit it place-making....from a visual perspective with banners, roadside traffic signal boxes that are painted in themes, regular events that bring character to the area.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 17 Jun 2017, 06:04

Yes, and some people/places don't have much, if at all!
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 17 Jun 2017, 06:09

SilentDawning wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 04:02
To answer Roy's question, what is a sense of place, here is a quote from Sam Bee's links that describes it...
"A sense of place is a unique collection of qualities and characteristics – visual, cultural, social, and environmental – that provide meaning to a location. Sense of place is what makes one city or town different from another, but sense of place is also what makes our physical surroundings worth caring about."
I think Utah DEFINITELY has this -- all the Mormon Heritage, temples all over the place, the Brigham Young statue downtown and church influence everywhere.

What I've been doing in the non-profit it place-making....from a visual perspective with banners, roadside traffic signal boxes that are painted in themes, regular events that bring character to the area.
This isn't unique to Utah, is it? I've attended meetings in other states & there is always something that makes them special.
I agree to the point that Utah's sense of place is more concentrated maybe.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 17 Jun 2017, 06:24

Minyan Man wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 06:09
SilentDawning wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 04:02

This isn't unique to Utah, is it? I've attended meetings in other states & there is always something that makes them special.
I agree to the point that Utah's sense of place is more concentrated maybe.
I wasn't implying it was unique to Utah -- place-making is a principle I hear about all the time in community revitalization. You have to find something unique about the area and then create a visual, social, and cultural experience around it. There is a town called St. Jacobs and its' Christmas all year round. That's its theme -- Christmas! A lot of the stores sell Christmas related stuff all year round, and all the public bannering and art is Christmas themed. it really makes a place.

It doesnt' surprise me that Utah is definitely a place. When you have a single religion that fused church and state together during its inception, it's embedded visually, culturally, and even at the relationship level between people.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Jun 2017, 15:35

There are a lot of modern towns which have no real sense of place... I suspect Native Americans & Hawaiians have the greatest sense of place in the USA as many of them have traditions and stories about the localities they live in, and they feel they belong there.

Sadly, like I say, all too many places as anonymous... and curiously, while the origins of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith are away from the Mormon heartland, I can see the Brigham Young era being more important, and even the Mormon pioneer heritage seems to me to be more grounded than say the distorted celebrations of Irish Americana.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."