Verschlimmbesserung

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
amateurparent

Re: Verschlimmbesserung

Post by amateurparent » 28 May 2017, 08:07

I've reached a point at which I feel a certain amount of schadenfreude when I look at certain verschlimmbesserung situations in the church.

Get out the popcorn ... It's DRAMA time.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 28 May 2017, 12:43

amateurparent wrote:
28 May 2017, 08:07
I've reached a point at which I feel a certain amount of schadenfreude when I look at certain verschlimmbesserung situations in the church.

You just gave me futterneid. What better way to cope with weltschmerz?
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 28 May 2017, 13:17

dande48 wrote:
28 May 2017, 12:43
amateurparent wrote:

What are these words? Do German people experience emotions that normal people don't?
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 28 May 2017, 13:24

Reuben wrote:
28 May 2017, 13:17
dande48 wrote:
28 May 2017, 12:43
amateurparent wrote:

What are these words? Do German people experience emotions that normal people don't?
I don't think they do, but I do think they have better words for describing differences in feelings and emotions.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 28 May 2017, 15:33

I do not speak German .. yet. My DD has decided that Munich is her first choice of universities. She is starting a German course next week .. so .. I hope to learn too.

I love the word fetterneid. It was on Word Of The Day a few years ago. It means "Fat Envy". Jealousy is the easiest translation into English. I think it's an awesome word. Weltschmerz was one I had to look up on Google Translate. It means "World Weary"
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 28 May 2017, 16:22

Funnily enough Germans have diseases we don't, notably
Kreislaufzusammenbruch which is actually untranslatable, but you can buy medication in Germany for.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/61140/15 ... own-german
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 28 May 2017, 17:44

Reuben wrote:
28 May 2017, 13:17
The German language is beautiful, in that it creates compound words for literally everything. Because of this, they have words that allow expression of feelings and ideas that are untranslatable into English.

Weltschmerz is the feeling that the world is headed in a negative direction (usually politcally), and is unlikely to get better, and it's making you depressed. Literally "world weariness".

Futterneid is literally "food envy", or the feeling that you get when you have just ordered at a restaraunt, and you see another plate being brought out and realize that is what you really wanted all along.

A couple of other good ones are
  • "Torschlusspanik" -"gate closing panic", or the panic you feel as you get older and are losing the opportunities of youth.
  • "Sontagsleere" - "Sunday Emptiness"; we've all been there.
  • "Witzbeharrsamkeit" - "Joke insistance", or telling the whole world the same stupid joke long after it's funny.
  • "Drachenfutter" - "Dragon food". A gift of flowers, chocolate, etc. in order to appease your wife's fury.
And my personal favorite:
"Abgrundanziehung"- "Abyss attraction", or the pull of the cliff's edge.
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 28 May 2017, 18:23

I suppose I should have been clearer. I was playing dumb to be funny. ;) I've written about schadenfreude before, sort of, a long time ago when I was into creative writing.

My new personal favorite German noun is Kummerspeck, which is usually translated as "grief bacon". It's the fat you put on by gorging yourself on Ben & Jerry's after a breakup.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 May 2017, 21:46

My daughter served her mission in Germany and loves the language and the people. As a wordsmith by nature, I love the concept of being able to use compounds to describe more things than are possible in English.

That is all.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 29 May 2017, 14:19

Reuben wrote:
28 May 2017, 18:23
My new personal favorite German noun is Kummerspeck, which is usually translated as "grief bacon". It's the fat you put on by gorging yourself on Ben & Jerry's after a breakup.
:lol: :lol:

Bwahaha...ok...that is my favorite too!! "grief bacon"! Love it :clap: I need to get me summa dat.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."