To those of you who Lurk but don't post

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

To those of you who Lurk but don't post

Post by SilentDawning » 21 Apr 2017, 07:34

For people who lurk but don't post much, or at all, if you're comfortable doing so -- could you tell us what you get out of reading posts made on StayLDS? For me, reading without posting is like chewing without swallowing...but that's just me. I'd like to hear the perspective of people who like to read without posting.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

nibbler

Re: To those of you who Lurk but don't post

Post by nibbler » 21 Apr 2017, 09:13

SilentDawning wrote:
21 Apr 2017, 07:34
...like chewing without swallowing...
Which can be a good idea if you're chewing gum, tobacco, or broccoli. :thumbup:
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.
― Rumi

unsure

Post by unsure » 22 Apr 2017, 00:52

Hey, there is nothing wrong with broccoli!

I guess I'm considered a lurker at this point. I've got accounts on forum that are 10 years old that I visit on a weekly if not almost daily basis and have <500 posts. Unlike others, my online persona is no different than the real me. I prefer to sit back and listen to/read the conversation than to actually participate. Many times I'll find myself starting to write a reply and then just hitting the back button or erasing it. I guess most of the time I feel it's really not all that important or necessary.

I like being able to read others opinions, whether or not they jive with my own, have my own thoughts challenged and see things in a different light. I don't necessarily need to be an active participant to receive all that. I know if everyone were like me there would be no forum. I'm grateful for those of you who do participate. :mrgreen: Kind of hypocritical, I know.

Sometimes just the affirmation that I'm not the only one who feels some way about a certain issue is all I need, again no participation required from me.

Edit: I actually have quite a few posts here considering my short amount of time and compared to my post counts on other forums.

Willhewonder

Post by Willhewonder » 23 Apr 2017, 17:29

I lurked for awhile, then joined. Then became absolutely giddy, posting wildly and probably offensively, so I stood down to reflect on my malfeasance. But I still lurk. Nowhere else do I see the kind of discussion of issues that helps me sort things out. Things get honestly discussed and it helps. I got giddy before, because I felt so liberated by the things I saw here that put to rest some of my concerns. I lurk now because I don't want to post foolishly or offensively.

afterall

Post by afterall » 25 Apr 2017, 16:19

My life has been incredibly impacted by the sudden death of an immediate family member, health issues, work, extended family members, etc. since my last post. I still enjoy reading everyone's thoughts although I am not able to read very often. I especially enjoy hearing everyone's take on conference talks. Thank you to all of you who share your thoughts!

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 26 Apr 2017, 11:30

afterall wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 16:19
My life has been incredibly impacted by the sudden death of an immediate family member, health issues, work, extended family members, etc. since my last post.
Sorry to hear you've had such a rough stretch. {hugs}
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 26 Apr 2017, 12:50

I am often very short on time and when I see a comment that essentially mirrors my own thoughts I don't feel a need to post.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Proprioceptive

Post by Proprioceptive » 29 Apr 2017, 20:13

I only recently joined the site (within the last couple weeks) although I've been reading for almost 4 years. This site, along with some other life decisions, helped jump start my testimony... helped me reconcile my concerns with my very clearly cautious faith. As a matter of fact, I plan o introduce myself soon in the introductions area. What do I get from the forums while not responding? I get common ground where the more "liberal" of the Mormon community are able to safely share their own concerns, questions, disbelief, belief, and general curiosities without fear of retribution.

Why have I not contributed beyond the fact that I have only recently joined? Because I'm quite honestly intimated by some of the minds in here. It's a combination of my own limited knowledge of church history/doctrine/culture (even if I've been a member my whole life) and the fact that after a few stints of inactivity in my adult life I'm still navigating my way through my faith. Heck, I haven't even read the entire BoM yet.

All this said, I find comfort here whether I've had the need to contribute or not.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 30 Apr 2017, 06:19

Proprioceptive - welcome and we look forward to hearing from you.

Don't be intimidated. If you knew me personally you would have a hard time if you had to pick between me or Homer Simpson for a new friend. :lolno:

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 30 Apr 2017, 08:45

I think I must be somewhere in between. I post from time to time but lurk most of the time. I guess I post when I feel I can make a good contribution to the conversation or just feel strongly about the issue. But I can certainly accept that for some people, participation must include contributing as well as lurking. Different strokes.....
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---