Do You Believe in the Literal Christ?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DancingCarrot

Re: Do You Believe in the Literal Christ?

Post by DancingCarrot »

I can't say for sure, and I love what I get from both symbolic and literal interpretations of Christ. I think I'm fine with either option ending up true. I think I get self-conscious in this belief, especially because the LDS Church tends to teach such a literal interpretation, but when I truly think about it, I have no idea. I'm okay with that.

I love the implications of physics and reality if it's true; I love the hope and "at-one-ment" people can create if it's not.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons
Ann

Post by Ann »

Ilovechrist77 wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 20:49 Even after having a faith transition, I can still say YES!
I know what you mean, I think. For me it’s especially after my faith transition.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11
Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 »

Thank you, Ann! :thumbup:
Katzpur

Post by Katzpur »

Old Timer wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 15:35I hope for it and have only the "evidence of things not seen (personally)" provided by others - so I can say I have faith but simply am not certain.
Is anybody really certain of anything? Personally, I almost cringe at the phrase, "I know..." A lot of people won't admit it, but there is not one of us who doesn't just walk in faith.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

Katzpur wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 07:44
Is anybody really certain of anything? [/quote]

My stock answer is:
my Grand Children's love.
To some extent a degree of innocence is required to all issues of faith. Including the question you asked.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

To some extent a degree of innocence is required to all issues of faith. Including the question you asked.

It is important to hold onto a degree of innocence, if only to remain open to learning things that would not be possible without it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Katzpur

Post by Katzpur »

Minyan Man wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 08:09
Is anybody really certain of anything?
My stock answer is:
Well, yeah. I can say that I know I love certain people and that they love me. But I was speaking in terms of "spiritual or religious truths."
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~
dande48

Post by dande48 »

Katzpur wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 07:44 Is anybody really certain of anything? Personally, I almost cringe at the phrase, "I know..." A lot of people won't admit it, but there is not one of us who doesn't just walk in faith.
See my signature.
Lemony Snicket wrote:"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

Katzpur wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 13:33
Minyan Man wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 08:09
Is anybody really certain of anything?
My stock answer is:
Well, yeah. I can say that I know I love certain people and that they love me. But I was speaking in terms of "spiritual or religious truths."
I think you missed my last sentence
Roy

Post by Roy »

Katzpur wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 07:44 Is anybody really certain of anything?
I know I think, therefor I know I am .... I'm not certain about the rest of you all. :mrgreen:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13