Do You Believe in the Literal Christ?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
afterall

Re: Do You Believe in the Literal Christ?

Post by afterall » 25 Apr 2017, 16:12

Yes.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 26 Apr 2017, 01:41

DoubtingTom wrote:
23 Apr 2017, 16:46
SilentDawning wrote:
23 Apr 2017, 16:03
Or you can just be agnostic about it all and keep going forward, happy.
There is truth to this. I'm much more at peace with thinking of the lessons and teachings of Jesus as an inspiration to live better, and to find the kingdom of God inside ourselves (which I believe was a core of his message). I think it was an incredibly powerful message during a time of total Roman oppression, about which the common man had no power to overcome that. Instead, Jesus taught the kingdom of God is inside us, here and now. He taught to turn the other cheek and go the extra mile, essentially taking that power back from the oppressive empire and making it an internal power.

That message still resonates today, as well as the messages of love and forgiveness. And I'm more at peace with those messages than trying to do mental gymnastics to make abstracts like the need for an infinite atonement make sense to me.
This describes very well what I think. Thanks for spelling it out so precisely.

I think the probability of a literal Christ is extremely low, but not zero, so I suppose I'm technically agnostic as well. Though mathematically speaking zero-probability events are possible, so I guess I could call myself agnostic even if I actually thought the probability was zero...

(Tangentially, I've never thought of the Church as being like a Roman oppressor before. In my mind, it's been playing the part of the Pharisees lately. It bears thinking about - though on another thread if I make my thoughts public.)
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 26 Apr 2017, 11:01

I always have, and continue to choose to believe in Christ as a literal Christ.

I have enjoyed reading others' posts on this thread. Thanks!
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 26 Apr 2017, 12:57

I see Christ as the way, the truth and the life. Eternal life comes through Him and "at-one-ment."

On the other hand I think we lose a whole lot of the goodness religion can offer if we get too stuck on literal interpretations. It may even be good exercise to try on occasion to deny ourselves of the literal "fix" that we may be addicted to.

I see the pharisees as too stuck on literalness, and the resulting distaste of their condition by Christ.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

richalger

Post by richalger » 18 Apr 2018, 16:59

Yes.

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 20 Apr 2018, 19:12

Minyan Man wrote:
23 Apr 2017, 20:28
I say yes.
I say "yes," too. I'm kind of surprised at how many here say "no."
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 20 Apr 2018, 20:49

Even after having a faith transition, I can still say YES!

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 20 Apr 2018, 22:28

Well Jesus was an actual person. And he's of exemplary character. If there is a need for a Savior, it would be him.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

Rebel

Post by Rebel » 21 Apr 2018, 04:21

I say its possible but not probable. I also have enjoyed reading all the different takes on this . More probable that Jesus existed lived a great life that can be used as an example for us and in the bible he was embellished to be larger than life ! So I guess for me I believe until I find definitive proof otherwise !!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Apr 2018, 15:35

To paraphrase my earlier comment, I love the concept of a savior/redeemer/messiah/Son of God, but I can't say I believe in a specific view of the concept, whether literal, symbolic, or something else. It simply was so long ago that I can't be certain.

Therefore, my view is based exclusively on faith. I hope for it and have only the "evidence of things not seen (personally)" provided by others - so I can say I have faith but simply am not certain.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken