Missionary Rules

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Heber13
Site Admin

Missionary Rules

Post by Heber13 » 29 Mar 2017, 14:50

We had the missionaries visit a friend of ours in the ward. They wanted to show the missionaries a gun they had, since the missionary was a big hunter.

The missionaries said there are 2 things they can't hold while on their mission:
1) Guns
2) Babies

:shock:

Maybe that is just our mission here, but we were surprised they can't hold babies.

Any guesses why that might be?

Are there other fun missionary rules you know about you want to share?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: Missionary Rules

Post by hawkgrrrl » 29 Mar 2017, 15:26

The utter terror that crosses their face when they realize that your husband isn't home and you've just invited them in.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 29 Mar 2017, 16:36

The guns thing has been around for a long time.

The babies thing is codified in the white bible (missionary rule book). Debbie Downer time:
The following guidelines apply to all missionaries, regardless of age or sex.

Because of increasing legal complexities, be extremely careful around children. If charges of inappropriate behavior are made, you may find yourself involved in a lengthy court case. If you are found guilty, you could face a substantial jail sentence and Church disciplinary action.

As in all other relationships, never be alone with a child. Avoid any behavior that could be misunderstood or could appear to be inappropriate, including tickling, changing diapers, holding children, and allowing children to sit on your lap. Never babysit children of any age.
This isn't a worldwide rule but it's a rule in some missions (and I don't want to derail the thread with a discussion on this, there are older threads that go there) eating dinner at 4:00 PM... presumably so the missionaries can knock doors during prime proselyting hours, bothering people while they're trying to eat dinner.

This wasn't funny but it was a rule. No Uno. The card game Uno. Missionaries alleviated too much stress on p-day eve by staying up late (eleven, ooooooooo :o ) and playing a little Uno. They weren't even coed games, just companionships that shared the same apartment. Plop down a Draw Four and you'd need a Reverse to escape the road to perdition.

Sorry none of these were funny.
It’s strange. When I couldn’t find the drop and the plague came, you seemed so far away I would not ever be able to find you again. But I know now that you were here all along, and that nothing, not the Black Death nor seven hundred years, nor death nor things to come nor any other creature could ever separate me from your caring and concern. It was with me every minute.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

Ann

Post by Ann » 29 Mar 2017, 16:39

The rule against holding babies was a surprise to our daughter, too, but everyone was careful to follow it. Maybe it was a good thing for her because it ran so completely counter to her nature. Might have helped her maintain a more "professional" (what's the better word) demeanor.

I gathered that it was to just draw a clean line - no physical contact with kids of any age.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 29 Mar 2017, 16:53

I think it's to avoid charges of abuse, or incidents involving actual damage to a baby - have to be careful... there might also be an ulterior motive tostop missionaries ending up as free baby sitters.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 29 Mar 2017, 18:48

I guess nobody told my son about the gun rule. He sent home a picture of himself with a sawed off shotgun from an investigator that had been a drug dealer for years until the drugs damaged his brain too much to keep up in that profession (my son's words, not mine).

And my mom had to feed the elders out on the back patio when it was cold because she was by herself. She is pushing 80!!!! The optics of the elders (and my mom) freezing on the porch for all the neighbors to see was worse than if they would have gone in the house.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 30 Mar 2017, 08:28

The missionary handbook ("white bible") is available in Gospel Library and here: https://www.lds.org/manual/missionary-handbook?lang=eng

In addition, most missions have some of their own rules. My older son's mission had few, the other son's mission has many.

Maybe an interesting note: The handbook does not prohibit hugging those of the opposite sex. I think it may have at one time, but it does not now and that is a common misconception.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 30 Mar 2017, 08:46

DarkJedi wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 08:28
In addition, most missions have some of their own rules. My older son's mission had few, the other son's mission has many.
And which son's mission experienced the most baptisms, the one with fewer rules or the one with more rules? :twisted:
It’s strange. When I couldn’t find the drop and the plague came, you seemed so far away I would not ever be able to find you again. But I know now that you were here all along, and that nothing, not the Black Death nor seven hundred years, nor death nor things to come nor any other creature could ever separate me from your caring and concern. It was with me every minute.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 30 Mar 2017, 09:23

nibbler wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 08:46
DarkJedi wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 08:28
And which son's mission experienced the most baptisms, the one with fewer rules or the one with more rules? :twisted:
I'm going to decline to answer that question because I don't think there's a correlation. So many other factors play a role. It's like the BYU devotional speaker this week pointed out. He showed a graph of number of Nick Nolte movies per year compared to number of swimming pool drownings. Turns out in the years Nolte was in more movies there were generally also more swimming pool drownings and when there were fewer Nolte movies there were fewer drownings. That does not mean there is a correlation between Nolte movies and drownings. Who says there's no such thing as coincidences? :evil:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 30 Mar 2017, 09:26

if only more missionaries understood the difference between correlation and causation!
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."