Can I complain about another TSM story?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: Can I complain about another TSM story?

Post by hawkgrrrl » 28 Mar 2017, 22:18

She wasn't the RS Pres (just to clarify), but the bishop's wife. But yeah. It was kind of sad I thought.

DoubtingTom

Post by DoubtingTom » 29 Mar 2017, 08:13

Funny but true story (I think). This came from my dad when he was serving as SP. The story either comes from his own stake or a story told him by another leader.

There was a bishop in the stake denying temple recommends if people drank caffeinated soda. At a stake leadership meeting during stake conference with bishops and the SP, Elder Nelson was the visiting apostle. During the luncheon, Elder Nelson asked for a coke. Some eyebrows were raised but he was told there was no coke. Apparently he asked someone to go get him a coke. When it finally came he set it down in front of him but apparently never drank it. The message was clear though, caffeinated sodas are not prohibited.

But to the point of the OP, I agree this type of story is unhealthy and breeds the unquestioning, don't trust your conscience mentality that is severely problematic for so many reasons already enumerated by others on this post. Thanks for sharing.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 29 Mar 2017, 08:46

Thread Jack Story here -

Though not coke related it does match the Godlike Homage we pay to GA's.

I was in the Stake Young Women's Presidency when Elder Dellenbach visited our Stake. Between the sessions the RS served us a sit down dinner. All of the Presidency's were required to attend the dinner and to "return and report" on the actions of our auxiliary/quorum. My husband who was not in Stake leadership was also invited because the SP liked him. By total chance my husband and I were seated directly across from Elder D. The RS had decorated the tables with jars of home canned fruits and vegetables. Very Pioneerish. Everyone was being so proper and polite. Midway through the ordeal Elder D. leaned across the table and said to my husband, loud enough so everyone could hear, "What you think about opening those pickles?" A total hush hit the room, we all looked panicked, our SP wanted this picture perfect meeting and the GA was blowing it off. My husband reached over, grabbed the jar, opened it's cute decorated top, and grabbed a pickle, passed the jar to Elder D. and smiled. The SP was super PO-ed.

My husband and I both took the message to mean, "Chill Out and Enjoy Life." All Elder Dellenbach wanted was a relaxing dinner and pleasant conversation. Not some "Oh holy one, we stand before you to report on our piddlin' lives. Our goal someday is to be as great as you."

Of course this story will never be printed in any church publication.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 29 Mar 2017, 08:52

mom3 wrote:
29 Mar 2017, 08:46
Of course this story will never be printed in any church publication.
But you published it here. I love that story. :thumbup:

It's also a reminder that leaders don't ask to be revered, often we thrust it upon them.
He who sits alone, sleeps alone, and walks alone, who is strenuous and subdues himself alone, will find delight in the solitude of the forest.
— Buddha

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 29 Mar 2017, 09:57

So, Joni...after hearing advice and support from others...how do you find you work through your frustration with the current prophet?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."