Visiting Teaching message promotion?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
squarepeg

Visiting Teaching message promotion?

Post by squarepeg » 27 Feb 2017, 10:41

Just wanted to share something that made me happy. I haven't read the "Ensign" in a while but I opened the February issue and noticed that the Visiting Teaching message is right after the First Presidency Message (aka HT Message), instead of deeper inside the magazine like it used to be. Maybe that's not something to get excited about, but if this is a regular thing now, it's almost like we're saying VT is as important as HT.

Heber13

Re: Visiting Teaching message promotion?

Post by Heber13 » 27 Feb 2017, 15:23

I think it is deliberate.

I see some small changes like this too...and maybe try not to get too excited for feeling like it is still too small a change...but I appreciate your example of reminding me that some progress to make things more even is better than no progress, even if I see lots more needed.

Our ward has done away with PEC. We meet as ward councils and include the sisters that lead the ward also. I see that as a deliberate change, and a good one.

Still a ways to go on many issues. But I like it.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 27 Feb 2017, 15:36

I have a really hard time cobbling together a meal out of these crumbs. I like your optimism, though.

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 01 Mar 2017, 08:11

hawkgrrrl wrote:I have a really hard time cobbling together a meal out of these crumbs. I like your optimism, though.
Haha! I know... I was thinking, "Baby steps..." And that maybe the Home Teaching message should be first in the magazine because Home Teachers teach the whole family whereas VTs "only" teach the women. But now I'm realizing I don't know why women can't also be home teachers. Hmm.

Ann

Post by Ann » 01 Mar 2017, 09:06

It's small, but I see it as both sincere and positive. I do think the church is up against it here. To keep the baby steps analogy going, there's only so far a baby can walk if it's on one of those baby leashes. Or there's only so far a growing boy/teen/man can walk if he's tethered by a chain of sexist doctrine.

There seems to be this fear - we can't have women and men equal before God in the temple, because who knows what "they'd do" then! That's right, who knows. Why do fearful people assume it'll be bad? Maybe all these baby steps are nothing compared to the positive energy that would flow in this church if we dignified women in the temple.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 01 Mar 2017, 09:24

squarepeg wrote:But now I'm realizing I don't know why women can't also be home teachers. Hmm.
FWIW, married couples can be home teachers.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 01 Mar 2017, 11:19

Reuben wrote:
FWIW, married couples can be home teachers.
Awesome, Reuben! News to me! Forget I posted anything...it seems irrelevant, now.

Roy

Post by Roy » 01 Mar 2017, 15:11

I also did not know that.

I think perhaps what you mean is that a HT may take his wife to accompany him while he goes home teaching ... or do you actually mean that his wife can be assigned as his HT companion?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Mar 2017, 15:24

Roy wrote:I also did not know that.

I think perhaps what you mean is that a HT may take his wife to accompany him while he goes home teaching ... or do you actually mean that his wife can be assigned as his HT companion?
In our stake some men are sometimes assigned their wives as companions for a couple reasons. One is just the shortage of priesthood holders vs the sheer number of people to be home taught (especially in smaller branches) and another is because of male home teachers (usually high priests) assigned to single women. In some cases the woman is also the assigned visiting teacher (killing two birds with one stone). Sometimes it is a matter of concern for the safety of women assigned as visiting teachers as well. It has been this way for decades in our stake.

It has been known to happen that men also just bring their wives when their assigned companion is unable or otherwise unwilling to go.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 02 Mar 2017, 05:24

Reuben wrote:FWIW, married couples can be home teachers.
Here's the official policy from handbook 2:
7.4.2 Organizing Home Teaching
With approval from the bishop in exceptional cases, Melchizedek Priesthood leaders and Relief Society leaders may assign a husband and wife as a companionship where visits by a couple are needed. Couples report these visits as home teaching and visiting teaching. Normally, young parents are not given such an assignment because it takes them away from their children.
I think there are some bishops that wouldn't care one way or the other and other bishops where getting approval for a husband/wife companionship would be like pulling teeth. Leadership roulette. I think a couple desiring to be a VT/HT companionship would have to come prepared to argue their "exceptional [case]" or why they feel "visits by a couple are needed."

In other words, while married couples can be home teachers it's the exception to the rule and thus I wouldn't bank on it... I mean, wouldn't most members (without children in the home) prefer doing visits with their spouse? Plus it counts as both HT and VT? Two birds. Once that first couple got approval all the kids would want in on the action... so the default seems to be 'no married couple companionship for you.' Just how I think things would pan out.
If one dream dies, dream another dream. If you get knocked down, get back up and go again.
― Joel Osteen