Burial and Temple Clothes

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: Burial and Temple Clothes

Post by nibbler » 11 Jul 2016, 06:14

QuestionAbound wrote:But is there something in our doctrine that dictates that we be buried in temple clothing?
I believe it's more of a tradition thing than a doctrine thing. Of course we believe that the endowment is both for this life and for the next life but that doesn't mean we lounge around the house in temple clothing all day. I think it stems from the belief that the endowment is really instruction that allows us to pass literal angels that serve as literal sentinels. Even then it's a bit odd. Does the resurrection cover clothing as well? If not I'd rather pick up a "fresh pack" of clothing. Then there's the cremation thing.

It's probably more for the family. They see their loved one buried in temple clothing and it might be another way of saying that all things were square between the deceased and the lord. Kind of like a more visible way of saying the deceased died with a TR... even in cases where they didn't have one. In other words, the person was buried in temple clothing, they are worthy, I have my peace of mind concerning the state of their soul.
QuestionAbound wrote:But now that this thread has popped up, I wonder...is there really an option?
Here's the language from the handbook. The first sentence also appears in handbook 2, Section 9.10.3.
Handbook 1 :: 3.4.9 Temple Burial Clothing wrote:If possible, deceased members who were endowed should be buried in temple clothing. If cultural traditions or burial practices make this inappropriate or difficult, the clothing may be folded and placed next to the body in the casket.
And later in that same section:
Handbook 1 :: 3.4.9 Temple Burial Clothing wrote:The Church does not normally encourage cremation. However, if the body of an endowed member is being cremated, it should be dressed in temple clothing if possible.
It's my opinion that the word "should" provides people the option to do what they want.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel... that makes me feel ANGRY!
— Robot Devil

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Jul 2016, 06:57

It is up to the person and the family.

It is suggested policy - nothing more.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Steve Warren

Post by Steve Warren » 18 Dec 2017, 20:53

Having an earthly burial has never been a requirement for a heavenly resurrection. Therefore, the type of clothing placed on a corpse will have zero impact on our prospects for heavenly glory. Still, when active, temple-endowed Latter-day Saints die, most are attired in temple clothing in their coffins. Here are 11 thoughts about why it is perfectly fine—even preferable—NOT to dress corpses in temple clothing.

1. In the unlikely event that temple clothes are actually required on the other side, every worthy person will receive them. Being buried in regular clothing won't hurt the worthy, and being buried in temple clothing won't help the unworthy. It simply doesn't matter to a just God whether someone's body was buried in a clown suit, burned to ashes, lost at sea, eaten by wolves or blown to smithereens.

2. Any temple clothing provided in the next life will be superior to what was produced on earth and will not wear out.

3. Any temple clothing made on the other side will be in the correct heavenly style. (Most temple-goers today wouldn't be caught dead in the styles of the late 1800s.)

4. We anticipate that in the Resurrection our bodies will be in the prime of life. If this is indeed the case, temple clothing (or any other clothing) that fits the bodies of worn-out, creaky old dead people is unlikely to fit the body of a vibrant resurrected being. It will need to be replaced.

5. Jesus was not buried in temple clothing, nor were most of the great prophets.

6. When Peter and John arrived in the tomb, they discovered that Christ had left behind his burial clothing. Yet, when he later appeared to Magdalene and to other disciples, the risen Lord was clothed. By discarding burial clothing made in this world, Jesus was perhaps telling us that clothing made on earth stays on earth. He is also telling us that clothing (temple or otherwise) is available on the other side.

7. We believe that children who die before the age of 8 go directly to the celestial kingdom—and not a one of them ever wore temple clothing.

8. Temple clothing made in heaven will not have been exposed to a corpse for an extended period of time.

9. Instead of adorning the dead, maybe temple clothing would better be donated for use by the living. For Latter-day Saints who feel uneasy about using clothing left behind by a person who has died, be assured that such clothing is completely decoffinated.

10. To non-LDS people who attend LDS funerals, temple clothing looks more weird than sacred. Putting it on public display may not be such a good idea, which explains why it often is covered during viewings.

11. Familial conflicts over whether to dress the deceased in temple clothing would be eliminated if everyone recognized that it is best for dead bodies not be dressed in temple clothing and that clothing made on earth is not and never will be a requirement for heavenly glory.

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 19 Dec 2017, 09:12

I have asked my family to be buried in a batman casket and batman outfit. Either that or a plastic bag because it doesn't matter much.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 19 Dec 2017, 16:12

I couldn't care less if others want to be buried in hula skirts and Speedos
I'm just glad we don't wear hula skirts and speedos to the temple.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Dec 2017, 17:05

My remains are unlikely to be dealt with by a church member.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 20 Dec 2017, 07:01

I have instructed my husband to have me cremated. He balked at this at first - cited culture as gospel. I pointed out that cremation costs 1/2 as much as burial, and I REALLY did not want to decompose with worms and bacteria and stuff, would prefer to have my ashes out in the world. I also pointed out that there were already so many bodies that God was going to have to put together molecule by molecule what was one more on the equation.

I will start instructing him on what I want to have laid out at the funeral. I do not want to be viewed in temple robes. Actually, I don't want to be viewed at all, but that is probably outside my jurisdiction, and it might help my husband to mourn me.

I am working on getting him to understand that whoever plans the funeral needs to party/wake oriented - that I DO NOT want a boring, mourning, sad send-off. My father and I had a serious discussion about this a few years ago. His recommendation was to request members of Polynesian culture assist with planning the funeral in part because they are so good at planning upbeat events.

My grandfather (who was a philosopher by trade prior to retirement), put the FUN in funeral by having his own funeral a few years ago while he was around to enjoy it. There was even a gorilla suit laid out for the "viewing".

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 20 Dec 2017, 07:50

The funeral is more for the living.

I still don't want my corpse to be dressed in temple clothes.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel... that makes me feel ANGRY!
— Robot Devil

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 20 Dec 2017, 08:59

nibbler wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 07:50
The funeral is more for the living.

I still don't want my corpse to be dressed in temple clothes.
Absoutely true, but you can still have a memorial service and accomplish nearly the same thing.
Last edited by LookingHard on 21 Dec 2017, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 20 Dec 2017, 21:52

I, too, have asked my wife to cremate me when it's my time to go. So far, she has downright refused. Barring that, I asked to be buried in anything but my temple clothes. She's not to keen on that either, and doesn't want to discuss it.

Part of the reason I want to be cremated, is I think it's disrespectful of the body to have it fester, rot, and, if buried in a quality casket, end up a puddle of sludge. I also think the buiral preparations are... unhealthy for the living. We pump dead bodies with all sorts of preservation chemicals, dress them up in clothes they'd hate to wear, and dump enourmous sums of money which would be better spent anywhere else. It all feels like we're trying to hold onto someone long after their time has past. When I go, I want to be gone. I want life to carry on without me.

The only upside of burials, is the conservation of energy. Neil Degrass Tyson put it eloquently
“I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime”
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket