Burial and Temple Clothes

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
amateurparent

Burial and Temple Clothes

Post by amateurparent » 08 Jul 2016, 00:03

When my oldest daughter died, I had people offer us white dresses for her burial. We were touched that people would offer, but we chose to bury her in one of her favorite outfits.

This got me thinking ..

I have informed my husband and children that when I die, I do not want to be buried in temple clothing. I didn't enjoy the temple in life, the clothes look odd, and I would prefer to be buried in something that I looked better in.

Being buried in temple clothing is such a tradition .. But in my mind, it serves no purpose. I feel that we are not resurrected in the clothes we die in, being in temple clothes doesn't jump us ahead in line and there isn't a different queue. A relative wanted his father buried in old fashioned one piece garments with full length legs and arms. He felt they were somehow more sacred. It was a good thing to do because it brought that son comfort, but I don't think it mattered to God.

Our dead are buried in such a way that they face East .. Facing the direction from which Christ is supposed to return. So much symbolism. Does it matter?

I do love the tradition of dedicating the grave. I think a funeral service and honoring the dead is important. It's just clothes and grave direction that doesn't make sense to me.

Any thoughts?
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

nibbler

Re: Burial and Temple Clothes

Post by nibbler » 08 Jul 2016, 04:58

I've requested to not be buried in temple clothing, well I want to be cremated but there's probably going to be a viewing and I don't want to be in temple clothing for that.

I've been to an LDS funeral and seen the clothing and how it is presented during the viewing, it's respectable and given how you're only on display from the waist up you would just about have to know what the clothing was to identify it as temple clothing. Maybe they use a little higher quality clothing than the ill-fitted stuff I typically wear to the temple, maybe the material behaves a little better when it's placed on something that is immobile (the clothing can be sculpted instead of utilitarian). Either way the clothing didn't look "bad" for the viewing.

For burial... I wouldn't want to be buried in temple clothing and have some archaeologist digging me up in 10,000 years and getting the wrong idea about me. :D

Bottom line, temple clothing just isn't me. If you want to bury me in something that is me make sure it has an elastic waistband... much more comfy for lounging around.
amateurparent wrote:Our dead are buried in such a way that they face East .. Facing the direction from which Christ is supposed to return. So much symbolism. Does it matter?
That's a traditional Christian thing. If it was a LDS specific thing that would make for an interesting discussion with the people that run grave sites. No, I want them buried at this angle. And it throws off their whole layout. Now you've seeded a doubt. I wonder if all grave sites are oriented like this or if we just assume it's facing east and that's good enough. Who brings the compass when planning the funeral to make sure the symbolism is preserved?

My bigger question is who is the funeral for, the living or the dead? This might become an issue where there are differences between what the family wants and what the departed wanted. E.g. I don't want to be buried in temple clothing but the people that plan my funeral feel really strongly that I should be.

I lean towards the funeral being for the living, it puts my wishes into perspective.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Jul 2016, 07:40

An old stalwart of our ward recently passed away and I was asked to help dress him in his temple clothes. I had never done it before but I didn't mind. The clothes were his own, something that's probably more common now because more of us own our own clothes because of the smaller temples. I do recall from my days in the bishopric that there are a couple extra sets of robes, etc., in the bishop's office in case a deceased member doesn't have their own.

That said, I don't get it either. I'm not much of a funeral person, there are lots of things I don't get about them - like why do people want to go look at a corpse supposedly as a way to honor them? Anyway, I do recognize that funerals are for the living and not for the dead but I still don't want one and also desire to be cremated. If not cremated, put me in a cardboard box without embalming (or bury me in the garden next to the stupid lion) and unto dust shall I return. If there is a physical resurrection, I don't believe it is the same body we have now including the clothing. I also recognize others believe differently.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 08 Jul 2016, 14:14

This might be a bit morbid, I was thinking that maybe we should be buried the same way we came into the world: no clothes. Keep the lid closed, please.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 08 Jul 2016, 14:45

I want a green burial. It's cheaper and better for the environment (no casket & the body is harvested for organs). There is no way the polyester temple dress is green. Besides, I feel like amateur parent. I don't enjoy the temple because it's so sexist, so why would I want my corpse to be wrapped in the ugliest dress I own, a symbol of a woman's secondary status in the church?

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow » 08 Jul 2016, 14:53

My will lays out two options, based on a general census of the living family's wishes: 1- Cremation, and ashes spread in a specific place that is meaningful to me. 2- If a majority of the family feels strongly against cremation, then I have specified that I want to be buried in a t-shirt and shorts. No temple clothes, no garments. And, I don't want a public viewing. How's that for being picky?! :lol:
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Jul 2016, 19:09

hawkgrrrl wrote:I want a green burial. It's cheaper and better for the environment (no casket & the body is harvested for organs). There is no way the polyester temple dress is green. Besides, I feel like amateur parent. I don't enjoy the temple because it's so sexist, so why would I want my corpse to be wrapped in the ugliest dress I own, a symbol of a woman's secondary status in the church?
I know you don't want to be buried in temple clothes at all, but I did want to point out that when I was studying up on dressing the guy I discovered there are biodegradable temple clothes available for such circumstances.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Jul 2016, 19:51

I like the symbolism and probably will be buried in them, especially since it will be important to much of my extended and immediate family, but I couldn't care less if others want to be buried in hula skirts and Speedos. Frankly, my own wish would be to be cremated in my temple clothing. I can see lots of people's heads exploding over that one, and my sense of humor would enjoy making that happen.

Just like so much else, it's all symbolic, so I am in favor of whatever each person wants.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 09 Jul 2016, 18:59

I told my family that since I'll be dead that I don't care how I'm buried. I did say I'd like to be buried in a casket that looks like a batmobile. Seriously I don't care.

QuestionAbound

Post by QuestionAbound » 11 Jul 2016, 05:48

But is there something in our doctrine that dictates that we be buried in temple clothing?

I've helped to dress 3 deceased sisters, all in temple clothing. It wasn't weird - just sort of what was expected.
And, Ray, one of these sweet sisters was cremated after we were done. So, it does happen. ;)

But now that this thread has popped up, I wonder...is there really an option?
'Cause I think of my husband...if he dies in the line of duty, I'd sure like to see him in his Class A uniform - and so would his crews.
Me? I'm not sure yet, but like other females here, I don't like the temple now. It really isn't something in my life, so it would feel forced for me to wear temple clothing.

That said, if we somehow knew that the Lord himself has asked that we use temple clothing for burials, then things may change.

Also, there is the option of placing the temple packet of clothing inside the casket if, for some reason, the body cannot be dressed. I could go for that option.