LGBT Suicides & Church Response

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
turinturambar

Re: LGBT Suicides & Church Response

Post by turinturambar » 29 Jan 2016, 11:29

It's simply an impossible situation. How many of us have the empathy to say we would forego companionship for life? None of those who have placed this requirement on our gay brothers and sisters are willing to do that. Some who have put this policy in place couldn't even resist the temptation to be sealed to two wives despite other policies preventing women from being sealed to more than one husband.
You're right, HG. That lack of empathy, that unfeeling brushoff, that complete unwillingness to put themselves in my shoes and think about the theological implications, that demand for me to make an Abrahamic sacrifice while they sit on their a$$#$ surrounded by their loving families, meanwhile I go home to an empty apartment to warm up another frozen burrito and hope that something on TV will occupy my attention until I have to go to bed and get back up the next day to do it all again...that is what fuels my resentment of the leaders of the Church. That is what lead me to a suicide crisis two years ago. That lack of hope. They just don't get it. Screw 'em.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 13:2‎)‎

turinturambar

Post by turinturambar » 29 Jan 2016, 11:33

DarkJedi wrote:While I don't particularly like that all the church has to say is "sorry," I do like that this was addressed in the church newspaper. I was further impressed that it is a fairly lengthy and in-depth article that gave some attention to some people who could be considered somewhat dissident or at least outsiders.
I agree DJ. It's a nice start. If they think they have "reproved" LGBT folks with sharpness, where is the increase in love? We have no choice but to esteem them our enemies. They need to get going on this.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 13:2‎)‎

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 29 Jan 2016, 16:11

crossing over into a bit of revisionist history
Well, truth be told, all history is revisionist. But I too had that thought.

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 29 Jan 2016, 21:42

There is a wonderful book called The Unwritten Rules Of Friendship. It is a guide book to social nuances for the socially awkward. A great book for Aspie kiddos.

In one of the chapters, the book uses a story of a boy who is playing basketball. He gets angry and because he owns the ball, he picks up the ball and goes home. He ends the game for everyone. The next day, he goes out to play and he cannot understand why the other boys are angry with him. He has forgotten all about the previous day. The book discusses the need to realize that while YOU forget and move on, other people might still be angry about something you did in the past. You need to be aware of that. When you make decisions, understand that there are social consequences.

I keep thinking of this basketball story when I think of the LDS Church and its stance on SSM.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

university

Post by university » 01 Feb 2016, 13:02

turinturambar wrote:
You're right, HG. That lack of empathy, that unfeeling brushoff, that complete unwillingness to put themselves in my shoes and think about the theological implications, that demand for me to make an Abrahamic sacrifice while they sit on their a$$#$ surrounded by their loving families, meanwhile I go home to an empty apartment to warm up another frozen burrito and hope that something on TV will occupy my attention until I have to go to bed and get back up the next day to do it all again...that is what fuels my resentment of the leaders of the Church. That is what lead me to a suicide crisis two years ago. That lack of hope. They just don't get it. Screw 'em.

Turinturambar, I've thought about what to say but I always come up short. I can only say I'm sorry. Truly. And I'm glad you're here with us.

university

Post by university » 01 Feb 2016, 13:07

amateurparent wrote:There is a wonderful book called The Unwritten Rules Of Friendship. It is a guide book to social nuances for the socially awkward. A great book for Aspie kiddos.

In one of the chapters, the book uses a story of a boy who is playing basketball. He gets angry and because he owns the ball, he picks up the ball and goes home. He ends the game for everyone. The next day, he goes out to play and he cannot understand why the other boys are angry with him. He has forgotten all about the previous day. The book discusses the need to realize that while YOU forget and move on, other people might still be angry about something you did in the past. You need to be aware of that. When you make decisions, understand that there are social consequences.

I keep thinking of this basketball story when I think of the LDS Church and its stance on SSM.

I think the Apostles are struggling to "treat everyone with Christlike love" like they assert while still "uncompromisingly upholding the Lord's standard" as they teach, when the "Lord's Standard" might not be very Christlike. To me, it feels like a group of girls on the playground who have formed a club. They tell the other girls who want to join, "Well, we can't let you in. But you can play with us...well, when we're not doing club things, which is most of the time, because you can't be in our club...See, teacher! We're nice to everyone!"

Meh Mormon

Post by Meh Mormon » 01 Feb 2016, 13:52

amateurparent wrote:In one of the chapters, the book uses a story of a boy who is playing basketball. He gets angry and because he owns the ball, he picks up the ball and goes home. He ends the game for everyone.
When this policy came out, this was the exact analogy that my wife and I both used.

Joni

Post by Joni » 01 Feb 2016, 15:12

TT, I'm sorry about your frozen burrito. I'd bring you some funeral potatoes if I could.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » 02 Feb 2016, 14:37

turinturambar wrote:
DarkJedi wrote:While I don't particularly like that all the church has to say is "sorry," I do like that this was addressed in the church newspaper. I was further impressed that it is a fairly lengthy and in-depth article that gave some attention to some people who could be considered somewhat dissident or at least outsiders.
I agree DJ. It's a nice start. If they think they have "reproved" LGBT folks with sharpness, where is the increase in love? We have no choice but to esteem them our enemies. They need to get going on this.
It makes a lot of sense what you say here. NO POWER OR INFLUENCE -- that scripture says...and that would, IMHO, account for everything. NO POWER OR INFLUENCE CAN OR OUGHT TO BE MAINTAINED!!!!

The persuasion side seems a little weak to me. Why can't the GAs share the reasons they have? But even more than that, what about the increase of love afterward?

Once heard someone say: "If you don't have the balm to heal up the wound, then you better preclude the spank."