Book of Mormon evidence

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
On Own Now

Re: Book of Mormon evidence

Post by On Own Now » 13 Aug 2015, 10:00

Ray DeGraw wrote:our mission is focused on staying LDS, so anything you can contribute toward that mission is welcome and appreciated.
I'd caveat that by saying that our mission is focused on staying LDS in ways other than convincing that the LDS Church is the one true church and that its doctrines are true.

I'm a bit sensitive to this, since I believe there is no God, ergo Jesus was not the Son of God, ergo the Church is not His Church, ergo the Church's doctrines have no basis in fact. So, if someone wants to have a discussion about whether the Angel Gabriel was born into this world as Noah, I am only interested in that topic from the standpoint of how that obscure JS teaching impacts my ability to stay LDS, without getting into whether it is true. I think the former is within the mission of this site and the latter is not.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Aug 2015, 10:53

Absolutely, OON.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 14 Aug 2015, 12:49

I think Judd also posted his "evidence" over at NOM a few weeks ago. The exchanges there were highly amusing.

Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey » 14 Aug 2015, 20:19

SunBelt... I read some of that interchange I think.. Was that all the Hopewell Indian artifacts/ timeline facts in Florida (under a different Username I believe than OP here)? If so, it was quite interesting the back and forth on both sides. For me its at least interesting to hear new possibilities and the hard questions posed in opposition to those possibilities.
Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. ...You don't have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love. ~Martin Luther King Jr.

“You have to carry the fire."I don't know how to."Yes, you do."Is the fire real? The fire? "Yes it is."Where is it? I don't know where it is." Yes you do. It's inside you. It always was there. I can see it.”― Cormac McCarthy, The Road