Book of Mormon evidence

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Judd

Book of Mormon evidence

Post by Judd » 10 Aug 2015, 20:35

i would like to post DNA, archeological, artifacts, cultural, linguistic, and geographical evidence that supports the Book of Mormon and get every bodies opinions about it.

DarkJedi

Re: Book of Mormon evidence

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Aug 2015, 21:30

Welcome to the forum. We're happy to discuss evidences of the Book of Mormon. If what you really want is the opinions of others who may not be fully orthodox, you're welcome to post away. Our community standard is that we respect the opinions of others - and that's a two way street. We each have our own experiences and points of view and freely share them here with the understanding that it's not anyone's place to declare themselves unequivocally "right" and anyone who doesn't agree with a point of view as unequivocally "wrong." To put it more directly, you are welcome to believe and share anything you want to believe about Book of Mormon evidence but you need to afford everyone else the same privilege whether they agree with you or not. (AofF 11).

[Moderator note: I deleted the duplicate post with the same content and one other post that did not fit the decorum of the forum. If you would like to write a proper introduction it would be appreciated. ]
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Judd

Post by Judd » 10 Aug 2015, 21:57

Well thanks for the welcome. Tomorrow I'm going to post some artifacts that I believe are from the Nephite civilization. The artifacts are breast plates woven cloth and buttons. The artifacts come from the right time period and from the civilization that are I believe are the nephites. Their DNA their technologies and advanced civilization all match up very well.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 11 Aug 2015, 07:01

Judd,

You are welcome here if your purpose is to try to StayLDS in spite of misgivings about the Church or its doctrine. If your purpose is to try to convince others about the truthfulness of any aspect of the Church, then you will be disappointed. I'm an atheist. I'm happy to have a conversation about the Church organization, lifestyle, benefits and drawbacks. I'm happy to talk about how to find peace in the face of a faith crisis. But, please, as a favor to me, recognize that I believe the BofM to be a man-made work with zero basis in history and people like me are able to stay in the Church to a substantial degree because of fellowship with this community, so I ask that you not disturb that peace here. Bottom line: I'm not going to try to convince you there is no God and I hope you will not try to convince me that there is. I respect your beliefs and frequently try to defend believers here. I do so because it's how I would want to be treated and I hope you will treat me with the same kindness.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 11 Aug 2015, 07:29

Judd, it would be great if you wrote an Introduction.
That way we can know you better & the issues that brings you to this site.

Roy

Post by Roy » 11 Aug 2015, 11:34

I am cool with hearing your ideas. I would only caution you with this audience to phrase your comments in a way that make your conclusions personal and tentative.

An example might be:

"Such and such discovery helps me to keep faith in the BoM as a history of ancient American cultures."
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 12 Aug 2015, 19:23

Good luck with the DNA evidence.
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Aug 2015, 05:16

As one of the originals here, I welcome you and whatever you would like to post. We try to be respectful of everyone, and our mission is focused on staying LDS, so anything you can contribute toward that mission is welcome and appreciated.

We tend not to be orthodox, so you might not get full agreement on the topic about which you want to post, but I hope we all can be respectful whether we agree, disagree or are neutral.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Grudunza

Post by Grudunza » 13 Aug 2015, 08:35

Ray, I think you meant that we tend NOT to be orthodox, right?
http://www.EricHermanMusic.com
- Cool Tunes, Videos, Shows for Kids -
Over 50 million views on YouTube!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Aug 2015, 09:47

Yeah, stupid phone. My brain seems to shut down when I use it to comment. :twisted:

I fixed it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken