Ghosts, Spirits and Ouija Boards

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
EnglishMormon

Ghosts, Spirits and Ouija Boards

Post by EnglishMormon » 28 Jul 2015, 12:57

Just interesting to see everyones opinion on this

On Own Now

Re: Ghosts, Spirits and Ouija Boards

Post by On Own Now » 28 Jul 2015, 13:39

Spiritualism became a fad in the US, including Utah, during the 1860's/70's. One of your fellow Brits, William Godbe led a dissident offshoot of Mormonism that was initially based on Spiritualism. Godbe and his British cohorts (Elias Harrison and Edward Tullidge) founded Utah Magazine and its successor the Mormon Tribune to get their anti-BY views out there. The Mormon Tribune eventually became the Salt Lake Tribune.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 28 Jul 2015, 14:28

To each his own, believe what you will. I don't think the church has an official stance, although I think we have to admit that spirits or ghosts are part of the theology. I'm not sure that's the same as the "haunted house" type of ghost, but I also don't know if there's a difference.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 28 Jul 2015, 14:40

Ouija boards were very scary to me as a youth. The stories I heard (and I now doubt their veracity) was that young people often found themselves possessed by the devil as a result of playing with such things. I have to admit to being a bit more skeptical now. Nonetheless, I still have a very visceral and negative reaction to Ouija boards.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Jul 2015, 18:19

I have had a few experiences that have left me open to the concept of spirits, regardless of the religious teachings of the Church. I believe many stories of evil spirits in the Bible are the result of lack of medicine, psychology, neuroscience, etc. - but I am not ready to reject the general concept of ghosts/spirits/forces/whatever. I do want to believe in spirits as taught in Mormonism, with some deviations and exceptions, I choose to do so.

I don't know what to think of ouija boards, although I don't believe there is any power associated directly with them. I don't know if there is access to dark forces for those who seek that access, making ouija boards simply a tool or medium for the channeling of stuff that would happen with any other item used similarly.

I know the Church has warned against using them, but I'm not sure if there is anything in the handbooks about it - and I don't care enough to look, frankly. I see no good whatsoever in them or any other attempt to connect with dark forces of any kind.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DevilsAdvocate

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 29 Jul 2015, 07:59

I believe in spirits (good and evil) mostly because of experiences people I know have had as well as ghost stories I have read or seen on TV and I just don't believe that all of them are either lying or misinterpreting some natural process like hallucinations, lucid dreams, etc. As far as spiritualism, maybe there are some legitimate mediums that can communicate with spirits fairly consistently but there has also been a lot of deliberate fraud exposed which I guess is only to be expected when people are making money off of this. Personally I don't want to have anything to do with Ouija boards; even if they actually worked as planned sometimes (which they probably don't most of the time) you still wouldn't know who or what you are really dealing with.
"Truth is what works." - William James

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 29 Jul 2015, 08:52

I think the church does have a position against the boards. To me they seem superstitious and silly. I occasionally hear a member say of a scary movie involving spirits "it freaks me out when it could be real." I don't feel the same way, I have never seen or experienced anything that makes me feel spirits could act in the ways movies depict. I believe humans may allow themselves to become "possessed" by evil, I would explain any murderer in that way, but against their will I just don't see.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 03 Aug 2015, 22:02

Just a quick pop in.

From the Handbook.

"Occult Affiliation

Church members should not engage in any form of Satan worship or affiliate in any way with the occult. “Such activities are among the works of darkness spoken of in the scriptures. They are designed to destroy one’s faith in Christ, and will jeopardize the salvation of those who knowingly promote this wickedness. These things should not be pursued as games, be topics in Church meetings, or be delved into in private, personal conversations” (First Presidency letter, Sept. 18, 1991)."
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Aug 2015, 04:55

The definition of occult sure has changed in the last 200 years.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
— Henry David Thoreau

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 06 Aug 2015, 18:52

Yes, look up the definition and think about it.
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau