Michael Quinn wrapping up "Yr. of Polygamy" at fMh Podcast

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Ann

Michael Quinn wrapping up "Yr. of Polygamy" at fMh Podcast

Post by Ann » 22 Jun 2015, 18:51

http://feministmormonhousewivespodcast.org/

Interesting interview - more like a monologue - with Michael Quinn. He discusses Joseph F. Smith's duplicity (his word, not mine), but I'm not sure there really is an explanation. I had no idea that Heber J. Grant had transformed virtually overnight from ardent supporter to equally ardent opponent. It seemed like a very personal crisis for him, for which Quinn doesn't really have an easy explanation, either.

He touches a little on how the mess of it all gave rise to the fundamentalist movement, but I know there must be other fMh podcasts on that.

He talks about "theocratic ethics" which he describes as the non-pejorative of "lying for the Lord."

Final little snippet at the end: He thinks the church was wrong to require African men to abandon polygamous wives except one as a condition of receiving the priesthood. Or maybe baptism, too. Not sure.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11