Can I complain about garments?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
cwald

Re: Can I complain about garments?

Post by cwald » 08 May 2015, 16:24

Why is not wearing them "not an option?"

Yeah. This is a serious, serious problem within the Mormon church...
Last edited by Anonymous on 09 May 2015, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 May 2015, 17:42

The garment has been mentioned in over 1,000 comments in our archives, and we have some really good threads about it specifically. One is entitled "G's..." and has about 50 comments. I would suggest searching for the word "garments" and looking through the results for posts with interesting titles and lots of comments.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 08 May 2015, 20:16

Joni wrote:
SilentDawning wrote:
What are those benefits?
I get to stay married. That's pretty much it. :angel:

Oh, and I can hold a temple recommend, which isn't a big deal now but it will matter in 10 - 20 years when my children reach marriage age.
Options.

The recommend question asks if you wear them at night and during the day. Could you answer that question with integrity by wearing them during the day once a month, and at night once a month? That way you have worn them at night, and during the day.

Or, if that is too extreme, have an 'underwear free" day every now and then where you wear whatever you want? Laundry can back up weeks at at time :)
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 08 May 2015, 20:47

I remember telling my Bishop that I don't wear my garments when I go to the Doctor or the Gym.
He told me he did the same. It is my opinion that it is impossible to wear them 24/7.

TataniaAvalon

Post by TataniaAvalon » 09 May 2015, 06:43

Ah garments, they will forever be the bain of women everywhere unless we can get some direct input into them. Even then, not all women have the same body shape so a top and bottom are not going to fit everyone. I remember when I started to not always wear my garments. Mine had gotten to small, but I couldn't go get a new pair because I wasn't paying tithing. How does it make sense that I can't underwear because I can't pay tithing??!!! It doesn't. So I started wearing them only sometimes. Now I don't wear them at all, I married a nonmember and he called them my celestial jumpsuit which made them weird. I stopped wearing them and haven't looked back. Oh the graying you mentioned... that was the worse when I was wearing them!! Seriously there's no way to keep them white. I had an odd conversation with a TBM at my work who's married and she said she didn't see the point of lingerie because she would have to wear them over her G's. WHAT???!!! :shock: sigh. I say start with maybe once a month not wearing the G's and let your husband get used to the idea, and then you can pick and choose when to wear them.

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 09 May 2015, 06:45

When you play sports, you wear appropriate sports equipment.

I've always told my daughters to consider sex a sport .. And good lingerie is the appropriate equipment.

Moving on ...

After 30 years of garment wearing .. I quit wearing them. It has been about 6 months now. I feel wonderful . There has been no guilt, no distress, no down side. I decided that my relationship with God had better be about more than my underwear. And if he was allowing babies to die painful agonizing deaths, allowing torture, and genocide -- and that was considered acceptable and moral because He is God. Then He was God enough to deal with my underwear choice.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 09 May 2015, 17:04

cwald wrote:Why is not wearing them "not an option?"

Yeah. This is a serious, serious problem within the Mormon church. I have an opinion but nobody cares what I think.
I care. In fact I put great value on what you have to say.

By the way God does not care what underwear you wear. They are an invention of men. Perhaps the best thing that could happen to the church is everyone stopped going to the temple. We may then have to look inward to find spirituality instead of relying on outward manifestations of our obedience.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

cwald

Post by cwald » 09 May 2015, 18:44

Cadence wrote:
cwald wrote:Why is not wearing them "not an option?"

Yeah. This is a serious, serious problem within the Mormon church. I have an opinion but nobody cares what I think.
I care. In fact I put great value on what you have to say.

By the way God does not care what underwear you wear. They are an invention of men. Perhaps the best thing that could happen to the church is everyone stopped going to the temple. We may then have to look inward to find spirituality instead of relying on outward manifestations of our obedience.
Thank you.

I agree about the Temple. Things will not change until enough members stand up to the corporation. As long as most active members who share this concern continue to wear garments out of fear, shame and blind obedience just to pass a litmus test to get a temple recommend, i doubt much will change faster than a snail pace.

Obviously I'm no longer patient or content to wait for the church to catch up to the god's standards.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 May 2015, 20:25

[Admin Note]: This is a forum to discuss ways to stay LDS. It is a site to discuss issues and provide support to help people know they are not alone in seeing things differently than the orthodox norm. It is a site to discuss those issues, and it is a safe site to vent in an attempt to move toward and develop peace and personal faith in whatever form that takes.

This is NOT a site to call for the elimination of the temple or the garment or any other aspect of Mormonism that is central and sacred to most members. It is not a site to position the LDS Church as being in opposition to God. Take that stuff to other sites. It is wholly inconsistent with our mission.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 09 May 2015, 21:33

Ray DeGraw wrote:[Admin Note]: This is a forum to discuss ways to stay LDS. It is a site to discuss issues and provide support to help people know they are not alone in seeing things differently than the orthodox norm. It is a site to discuss those issues, and it is a safe site to vent in an attempt to move toward and develop peace and personal faith in whatever form that takes.

This is NOT a site to call for the elimination of the temple or the garment or any other aspect of Mormonism that is central and sacred to most members. It is not a site to position the LDS Church as being in opposition to God. Take that stuff to other sites. It is wholly inconsistent with our mission.
Your right Ray, I can not come here anymore. This site no longer gives me any support, I need to move on.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson