I Don't Want To Be A God

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
intothelight

I Don't Want To Be A God

Post by intothelight » 21 Apr 2015, 23:49

In fact, I don't want glory. When I die, I just want to be accepted, at peace, and fulfilled. Alright, admittedly, I'll lavish silent praise on myself and puff myself up with a false sense of superiority and pride at the expense of others, just as much as the next imperfect person. But, when circumstances have pricked my pride balloon and my mind is at one of it's clearer levels, being a God is not the pot of gold on the far side of my rainbow.

Does anyone else feel this way? I understand we all change. Like even though I don't like genealogy - OK, edit, I hate, hate hate genealogy - I can still see it as a possibility for me to get into it if I were to start. Like the love or hate of genealogy is a layer of clothing that can be added or removed. But the part of me that has no desire to make my own world is far deeper than that. It feels as though that is my very self.

LookingHard

Re: I Don't Want To Be A God

Post by LookingHard » 22 Apr 2015, 03:37

Interesting. I would agree at this point I don't want another big calling right now. The stresses of life are unrelenting, so just some relaxation would be great.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 22 Apr 2015, 05:25

I actually find the prospect of expanding a large organization quite interesting, if that is what Godhood means. The part bout having many wives I find confusing though. I have enough on my hand keeping my monogamous relationship healthy without multiplying it.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 22 Apr 2015, 17:07

It depends on the definition of God being used.

That isn't being flippant. I love the idea, according to how I define it. I don't like many other definitions.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 23 Apr 2015, 06:36

Yeah, I was going to say that I define god very differently these days. I'm in a constant state of adjusting definitions. I let my definition of god drive changes in me, I let changes in me drive my definition of god. Some day a balance will be struck.
LookingHard wrote:Interesting. I would agree at this point I don't want another big calling right now. The stresses of life are unrelenting, so just some relaxation would be great.
The notion that "god" is just another big calling. :lol: I can just imagine...

[In heaven the phone rings. Caller ID shows that it's god's 2nd counselor.]
nibbler: Great, what now?
[nibbler reluctantly answers the phone.]
G2C: God would like to know if there's a good time he could meet up with you next week.
nibbler: Sure, okay. I'm thinking of a day and a time right now. He probably already knows when.
G2C: Okay, thanks for your willingness to meet with god.

[nibbler hangs up the phone and begins to brood over why god would want to meet with him.]

nibbler: It's sure to be a calling. Quick, let's do the math. Michael moved out of heaven to go create his own planet but Gabriel got Michael's old calling of archangel about a month ago, so I'm safe there. Hmm... Raphael and Azrael have been in their calling for a long time, but that can't be it. Crap I bet it's Metatron's calling. What if it's not a calling. What if god found out about that thing I posted on FB. Oh no... :o

[Five days go by as nibbler troubles himself with terrible anxiety. The five days are like 5000 years for him but the appointed hour finally arrives.]

God: nibbler I'd like to extend you a calling.
[nibbler's visage braces for the impact.]
God: I'd like to call you to be god.
nibbler: GD! :evil: There goes bowling night.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 23 Apr 2015, 07:38

Nibbler you're too funny!
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 23 Apr 2015, 09:33

It all hangs on what you mean by "god". I think in some senses, we already are gods, but not in the sense we should be worshiped.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 23 Apr 2015, 10:23

SamBee wrote:It all hangs on what you mean by "god". I think in some senses, we already are gods, but not in the sense we should be worshiped.
I can make rocks, balls, and sticks fly. I provide almost limitless food and ask nothing in return. To my dog, I am a god.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 23 Apr 2015, 11:48

Eternal progression was/is one of the teachings I like most about this church. It seems logical to me that a loving Heavenly Father would want His children to as happy and successful as He is. I would think that a God would have the ability to "turn it off" when necessary and not be stressed out all the time by the nagging of infinite children and all the difficulties of engineering new worlds.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 23 Apr 2015, 11:50

DarkJedi wrote:
SamBee wrote:It all hangs on what you mean by "god". I think in some senses, we already are gods, but not in the sense we should be worshiped.
I can make rocks, balls, and sticks fly. I provide almost limitless food and ask nothing in return. To my dog, I am a god.
We're gods in the sense that we can do some pretty amazing things that most other animals can't... or at least do them to a more complex degree than any non-supernatural lifeforms can, that we know of.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."