Freetown -- from the Makers of the Saratov Approach

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Freetown -- from the Makers of the Saratov Approach

Post by SilentDawning » 21 Apr 2015, 17:40

There is a new, independently made movie out about Mormons -- this time about black Mormons. Here is the trailer below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... r07X7jaMw8

Here is the article on it...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-adam ... lp00000592

And here is the teaser:
So, how are the Mormons handling a theatrically released feature film that draws attention to the "cognitive dissonance" as one of the characters in FREETOWN refers to the priesthood ban? Yes, right in plain sight, not hidden in metaphor, or slow-tossed like a softball, you have a black Mormon missionary, discussing with a black Mormon leader the feelings of confusion that he felt when he first learned of the, according to the character's dialogue, "racist policy." The discussion is out there, for all to see and hear, in 5.1 surround sound. Heavy themes are prevalent throughout the often suspenseful and thought-provoking film. It's something you'd think "the faithful" would avoid.

But, to their remarkable credit, they aren't shying away from it--not at all. They're speaking up on twitter, they're inviting their non-Mormon friends, they're even organizing in groups and requesting screenings in their areas. From packed theaters in Washington D.C., to Oxnard, CA, to as far away as Accra, Ghana, FREETOWN seems to have become more than a simple "Meet the Mormons - Africa Edition." It's providing an opportunity for Mormons of all types to speak loud and clear about acknowledging their past, being responsible for their present, and moving ahead as a multi-racial, world-wide church, embracing the future.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

West

Re: Freetown -- from the Makers of the Saratov Approach

Post by West » 21 Apr 2015, 19:12

Interesting. I saw the trailers for this being broadcast alongside General Conference this past month, but I haven't looked into this further.

This seems to be a much bigger and unexpected step compared to the quietly released essays on the priesthood ban.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 22 Apr 2015, 05:26

Not a church publication though -- right....so we can't credit the church with the openness of the movie.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

West

Post by West » 22 Apr 2015, 09:49

No, is an independent film, but the trailers have been running regularly on the BYUTV channel, so I take that as an encouraging sign.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 22 Apr 2015, 17:00

Yes, we can give credit. It wasn't produced by the Church, but it absolutely is backed by it in almost every way but financial.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken