You do not belong here–a HC’s talk about inclusion

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

You do not belong here–a HC’s talk about inclusion

Post by nibbler » 21 Apr 2015, 10:34

http://rationalfaiths.com/you-belong/

Amazing.

I could quote the whole thing but to tease people into reading the article:
Our discussions in church sometimes seem geared toward achieving agreement and consensus. Surely there are some basic principles we all expect to agree on, but we should try not to be uncomfortable when others voice opinions that differ from our own. When Jesus called 12 disciples, I doubt he expected them to be clones of one another. We get glimpses in the New Testament of the disciples’ different personalities: Peter is passionate, Thomas skeptical, James and John were thought to be bold and quick-tempered. I imagine that this group of disciples didn’t always agree with one another, and I like to believe that in some ways Jesus wanted it that way.

As members of the church, we tend to get especially uncomfortable when someone expresses serious doubts about the gospel or the church, or shares opinions that conflict with standard doctrine. This is natural, but unfortunate. Everyone struggles with faith, but it is sad when those who are struggling feel like their voices aren’t welcome, or their opinions a threat. Instead of being treated with patience and empathy, they feel like they are being told “if you don’t believe it, then you don’t belong here” – or, even more insidiously – “if you don’t believe all of it, then you don’t belong here.”
Anyone here give that talk? If so I'm going to need you to go ahead and ghost write my next one. ;)
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
— Henry David Thoreau

Holy Cow

Re: You do not belong here–a HC’s talk about inclusion

Post by Holy Cow » 21 Apr 2015, 11:02

Wow! When I click on a post and see that it's just a link to something else, I usually skip it and move on to the next post. I almost never click on link to other talks, sites, etc. But, after reading that teaser, I couldn't resist. And I'm glad I checked out your link! This high councilor knows what the gospel is all about: loving your neighbor and welcoming everybody into the fold!
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Apr 2015, 12:17

I love this - and have given much the same talk myself in that same calling.

This really isn't the church of my youth, and it's easy to forget that in the middle of our own crises / tranistions / whatever.

Thanks for posting it!
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

West

Post by West » 21 Apr 2015, 18:58

That was a great read. Thanks so much for sharing! :)
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 21 Apr 2015, 19:37

Most excellent! I just wish we could have this given at conference. Now that would be a big change.

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 24 Apr 2015, 19:13

Wish I had written it...might give a similar talk when I'm ready to be released :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom3

Post by mom3 » 27 Apr 2015, 22:17

Newsflash - The piece was picked up by LDSLiving blog with source listed - Rational Faiths.

http://ldsliving.com/story/78749-you-do ... -inclusion

Another drop of water down the row,hmm.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman