Enrichment Night Weirdness

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: Enrichment Night Weirdness

Post by Roy » 13 Apr 2015, 13:53

I see PB's as statements of hope and counsel about an individual's future.

It would be more meaningful to me if it came from someone close to me. Perhaps a father or grandfather. I would love to get something like this from my grandmother in the style of the will and testiment of Azeal Smith (Grandfather to JS). As I understand it the function of the church Patriarch was originally to give PB's only for those that did not have living father in the church.

I would probably go (if I were a woman) just to see what it was all about. I would not bring my own PB.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

West

Post by West » 13 Apr 2015, 14:14

That is such a weird activity idea. i feel like my PB has guided me to make some really awesome choices in my life that have led to great experiences and sort of an "excuse" to enjoy and take advantage of certain experiences. I don't know how else I feel about it otherwise; perhaps, for some, it is revelation, while for others it's just hit and miss.

Regardless, I wouldn't share it with non-family ward members as a "fun activity" like this.

On another note, before my grandfather died, he gave a verbal blessing to each of his attending grandchildren. I was a little kid at the time, so I don't remember much, but we did record each blessing. That was nice. And it was a very special memory.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 13 Apr 2015, 17:39

There was a super interesting poll result last year about Patriarchal Blessings that surprised me. IIRC, 47% of our readers at Wheat & Tares (many of whom are disaffected or at least heterodox) said their Patriarchal Blessing was very spiritual and personal to them after however long it had been. I found that surprising, but cool, too. Basically, religion does have to make you feel special. If it's not about you, it's not enough.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 13 Apr 2015, 19:22

DarkJedi wrote:Yeah, it's weird alright. Like you, I'm not really sure where I stand on PBs but I have serious doubts to the point I haven't read mine in years. I don't put much stock in it. (OK, I don't out any stock in it - it simply is not true and if I told you what's in it and what is reality you'd agree - and those things didn't happen when I was TBM.) Nevertheless, in my more orthodox days I was also taught not to share it and I'll add that my son recently got his and he was told by the patriarch to not share it with anyone except close family. He was specifically told not to share it with his peers. So, the thing you describe does not seem orthodox to me.
I agree with DJ -- I remember the patriarch asking me the commandments I had the most trouble with, and I said prayer and tithing. So that is what he said in his blessing as commandments not to neglect. Years later I had forgotten he had ASKED me those things, and as a TBM, felt the whole thing was so miraculously inspired since those were exactly the things I tended to struggle with.

I now remember him asking me those things! I haven't read mine in a long time as I'm not sure what to make of it. I would much rather God spoke to me directly.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow » 14 Apr 2015, 08:28

My experience with the patriarchal blessing was similar to SD's. When I went to the patriarch's house with my parents, he spent a few minutes asking me questions about my interests and goals and such, then he had me leave the room and he talked with my parents. But he didn't close the door all the way, so I could hear everything they were talking about. My mother told him that one of my hobbies was playing the piano (the truth was that she had just stuck me in piano lessons and she wanted me to take an interest in it, but I actually hated every minute of it :lol: ). But, during the blessing, the patriarch went on and on about how my 'musical talents' on the piano would serve me all my life, on my mission, and I would gather my children around me and we would find joy in singing while I played the piano. Sounds like something you'd see in an old black-and-white film. But, in reality, I stopped playing the piano as soon as I got a job when I was 16, and have absolutely no interest in ever taking it up again. But, nearly half of my PB is about piano and music, because that's what my mother said my hobby was.
But to be fair, I don't expect a patriarch to be some kind of fortune teller. I think the calling has been given a mystical status in the church. In reality, I think most patriarchs are good men, who are doing their best to try to figure out what God would want them to say to this person. They don't know many of the people they give the blessings to, so they have to go with whatever information they can get from the individual. Not a role I would ever want to be in. That would be a tough position.
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 14 Apr 2015, 08:57

Mine didn't ask me questions like that - sounds like a psychic trying to trick someone - but he did bake an excellent blueberry pie from scratch that we all used afterwards to break our fast.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 Apr 2015, 09:40

Mine didn't ask questions like that, either, nor did my son's. Generally speaking most of the stuff in my PB is just general good advice (like stay out of debt) and I'm OK with that. It really is the few more specific things that cast doubt on the whole thing for me. I'm OK with people believing PBs are inspired and or personal scripture or whatever, just like I'm OK with people who think God helps them find their car keys. Those things happen to be their opinions and mine opinion is different.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 14 Apr 2015, 09:51

I don't necessarily think it's strange to mark up your patriarchal blessing (I did so in by TBM days), but doing at at enrichment sounds like an invitation to show off how long yours is and talk about the coolest promises. I can almost guarantee someone will go home with their feelings hurt because someone isn't promised clouds of glory trailing them and their posterity for all eternity.

On my mission I had a few companions share theirs with me and I never shared mine. I'm pretty sure it hurt their feelings. Hopefully I was thoughtful enough to tell them beforehand that "show me yours and I won't show you mine."

My patriarchal blessing is special to me even though I discount its value now. At the time I received it I felt the advice was incredibly insightful but in hindsight, since the patriarch knew me and my family and interviewed me in detail beforehand, none of it is really surprising and could be considered good advice for anyone (similar to what DJ said). Most teenage boys will worry about girls and about their future success, and words of encouragement will be welcomed.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 14 Apr 2015, 10:48

Hawkgrrl -
but he did bake an excellent blueberry pie from scratch that we all used afterwards to break our fast
I wanna do-over. I got a drive through burger. Dang.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

mom3

Post by mom3 » 14 Apr 2015, 10:53

Roadrunner - I don't mind the marking. It's personal scripture - So No Big Deal on the marking. It is the groupness and the pinterest that really caught me. The feeling I am getting from the ward online chat is that this a new Mormon Cool. I just don't think I can buy it.

We have a women in our ward who takes her kids when they are 12 to get theirs. Like a rite of passage thing.

Mine has some special meaning to me. Is it a divining rod? No. But a new Mormon Craze is a whole nother bag to me.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman