Enrichment Night Weirdness

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Enrichment Night Weirdness

Post by mom3 » 13 Apr 2015, 11:27

Yesterday during RS announcements, I was busy chatting to the women next to me and only vaguely listening but I thought I heard that our ward is having a "Mark Your Patriarchal Blessing" class in MidWeek-Enrichment Night. I have never been one to attend Enrichment nights, even in TBM days. I only went if it was my calling. But I have never heard of one these classes. Better yet, instructions on how to this are found on Pinterest (also something I don't do). I still wasn't sure until it popped up in our email letter. It's a class.

I don't know where I stand on Patriarchal Blessings now. My is engraved in my heart from years of reading, and yes there are key passages that stand out. I don't mind the idea of marking them, we mark our scriptures. I am a little weird-ed out by the idea of people bringing theirs, having others look at them, etc. and so forth. For years it was drummed into me that they belong only to you and should only be shared with a small selection of people i.e. spouse, parents. So a group of women sitting around a table doing this smacks against that. And how do you teach that class. Orange will be for your birthright. Blue for your covenants. Added to that I know people who have 2 page blessings, and people who have 2 paragraph blessings. Who is going to lead that conversation should it come up?

I don't know? It seems a bit unorthodox if you ask me.

Thoughts?
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Enrichment Night Weirdness

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Apr 2015, 11:31

When it's a little too unorthodox for the heterodox . . .

Yeah, not something I would do.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Apr 2015, 11:41

Yeah, it's weird alright. Like you, I'm not really sure where I stand on PBs but I have serious doubts to the point I haven't read mine in years. I don't put much stock in it. (OK, I don't out any stock in it - it simply is not true and if I told you what's in it and what is reality you'd agree - and those things didn't happen when I was TBM.) Nevertheless, in my more orthodox days I was also taught not to share it and I'll add that my son recently got his and he was told by the patriarch to not share it with anyone except close family. He was specifically told not to share it with his peers. So, the thing you describe does not seem orthodox to me.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 13 Apr 2015, 11:52

It seems pointless to me, honestly. Even if you are a full believer, and cherish your PB, what's the point of marking something that would be so well known? It's a little like marking the title of the BofM. I mean, you already know what it says and where to find it.

I wouldn't want to be there because of the inevitable "look how awesome my blessing is" issue. I have no problem with people who keep their own PBs as an important element of their spirituality, but it's just strange to think of PBs as something to bring to a meeting or as something to mark. Also, I notice that PBs have a pretty low profile in my neck of the woods. There's no fanfare around them. Even the idea of getting them is personal and private here. I think that is a positive approach to them.

If you do go to the Enrichment Night, I suggest taking a fake copy of your baby blessing from when you were an infant, and really play it up.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 13 Apr 2015, 11:54

I don't think I could help myself from bringing a brown marker for "BS". I honestly wouldn't go and I would even tell the leaders I wasn't going because it weirded me out a bit.

I would worry about some attending and leaving feeling like, "my PB was wimpy - so I must be a wimp" and on the flip side, someone else coming out with, "man, my blessing kicked butt - so I must be as awesome as awesome can be!"

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 13 Apr 2015, 11:59

I've always heard counsel to keep PBs private, or better stated hold them sacred, and the way we hold them sacred is not to be to loose with them.

Someone teaching PH one Sunday brought up something or other from their PB that they wanted to share with the class. They were immediately and emphatically shot down by both counselors in the BP. It was a one sided argument that went on for several minutes, the person wanting to share something from their PB remained silent the entire time. My own feelings, no big deal. If the person wants to share something from his PB with the rest of the class that's their decision.

So yeah, there's a teaching to keep things private coming from somewhere.

Your class sounds like a completely different scenario though. In my experience the person readily volunteered the info, in your class it sounds like people will be expected to be relatively public with their PBs. Completely different.

That said, are you sure people will be sharing their PBs or will they make a statement about the private nature of PBs up front, remind people that they do not have to share, and it will be more general instruction where everyone only ever looks at their own PB?

I think you're right BTW, size envy may be an issue. My PB is really short. I try not to have a Napoleon complex about it.
DarkJedi wrote:He was specifically told not to share it with his peers.
:think:

Yeah, I imagine people have all kinds of theories behind the reason for that particular counsel. What is a youth to think should they see a high percentage of similar phrases in several of their friends PBs that all came from the same patriarch? That can be a difficult thing to explain and can take some of the wind out of the sails of a PB being something that can help youth feel unique and special.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 13 Apr 2015, 12:09

LookingHard wrote:I would worry about some attending and leaving feeling like, "my PB was wimpy - so I must be a wimp" and on the flip side, someone else coming out with, "man, my blessing kicked butt - so I must be as awesome as awesome can be!"
Good point. That's probably as good a reason as any for keeping PBs private.

That's one of the dangers of when we start comparing what we have to what others have. It's engrained in our nature. Don't share your PB, the rough equivalent to stitching some figs together to cover up our PB and then apply some "modesty" to make sure it got covered good enough.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 13 Apr 2015, 12:15

nibbler wrote:
LookingHard wrote:I would worry about some attending and leaving feeling like, "my PB was wimpy - so I must be a wimp" and on the flip side, someone else coming out with, "man, my blessing kicked butt - so I must be as awesome as awesome can be!"
Good point. That's probably as good a reason as any for keeping PBs private.

That's one of the dangers of when we start comparing what we have to what others have. It's engrained in our nature. Don't share your PB, the rough equivalent to stitching some figs together to cover up our PB and then apply some "modesty" to make sure it got covered good enough.
Your making me blush :oops: I am not going to brag, but let me say my PB is plenty long enough! :shock:

I remember listening to a mormondiscussion.org podcast where he and his wife to be both got their PB at about the same time. Then they eventually looked at each others blessing and felt a bit like, "these are the same blessing!" Worth a listen.

Ann

Post by Ann » 13 Apr 2015, 12:23

Hmmm. Have to admit that I hope you go. There could be some interesting conversations, and chances to plant some mom3-type seeds. I wouldn't go...because I'd be afraid of the "interesting" conversations and not confident that I would plant anything good.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Apr 2015, 12:43

nibbler wrote:
DarkJedi wrote:He was specifically told not to share it with his peers.
:think:

Yeah, I imagine people have all kinds of theories behind the reason for that particular counsel. What is a youth to think should they see a high percentage of similar phrases in several of their friends PBs that all came from the same patriarch? That can be a difficult thing to explain and can take some of the wind out of the sails of a PB being something that can help youth feel unique and special.
That was exactly what was going through my mind when he said it: "You're just afraid everyone is going to see how similar they are." I'll add here that I have known our patriarch for many years and consider him a friend.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction