General Conference - April 2015

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
West

Re: General Conference - April 2015

Post by West » 05 Apr 2015, 10:52

Ray DeGraw wrote:Salvation cannot be purchased by the currency of obedience. It is bought by the blood of the Son of God.
The currency of obedience. I don't know what I was expecting him to say, but it certainly wasn't that. Much wow.

This talk is all about God's grace. Easter talk through and through.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

TataniaAvalon

Post by TataniaAvalon » 05 Apr 2015, 10:52

+1 million points to Pres Uchdorf in my book. I have a much more traditional christian view on grace. I have felt for a long time that we focus WAY to much on "after all we can do" and obeying his commandments. This talk is a middle ground between those that say grace will save us no matter what, and we must obey or else... I love it to pieces.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Apr 2015, 10:53

What a wonderful Easter session. I am so glad I was able to watch it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

MockingJay

Post by MockingJay » 05 Apr 2015, 10:53

Ray DeGraw wrote:He is addressing how we misinterpret the phrase "after all we can do"!!! Yeah!

I love this - truly, deeply love this.
Me too! I was just about to say the same thing. That'll be one of my best take aways for this GC.

MockingJay

Post by MockingJay » 05 Apr 2015, 10:55

This session was very satisfying. I'm so gald I watched it. Beats everything from Oct. GC.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Apr 2015, 10:55

I told myself I was going to be more positive today and not pan any talks, rather I would recommend those I thought worthwhile. I recognize there are little things here and there will bother individuals here, but please try to overlook those - without reservation I say each of us can benefit from every talk this session.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 05 Apr 2015, 10:57

I know all of my comments in this thread haven't been all that useful, little more than a "that was a good talk," I'm not a note taker, I just like to "feel" conference when it's on live. This is another one of those non-specifics comments.

After the October 2014 GC I felt dejected. I was drained of most of the hope that I had and wondered where things were going, etc. This conference, even though it is not over yet, turned all of that around. I can't remember a GC that's brought so much hope and renewal within me. Sure there are small messages here and there that I need to mentally overlook but... wow. This GC has been edifying, the future feels a lot brighter.

Sorry for the lack of specifics - just going from my gut on this one.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 05 Apr 2015, 10:58

Pres Uchtdorf paraphrased Paul to reference "walking in a newness of life." Actually, this is groundbreaking. I don't think I have ever heard that phrase used in GC, and it is not a common part of LDS thought. It's a common Christian phrase, that points to what we will be when we are a follower of Christ, instead of merely cleanse from sin, and endure to the end. Great talk. I'll be watch a lot of this conference again, including this one.

I feel like a lot less of an outsider after the Sunday Morning Session.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Apr 2015, 11:16

I will be eating dinner with some non-Mormon friends and will miss the last session. I do not expect it to be nearly as good as this session, and I refuse to be disappointed if it isn't. This session was fabulous, and nothing is going to diminish that for me.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

journeygirl

Post by journeygirl » 05 Apr 2015, 11:35

I'll just join with other comments that overall this was a great session. I'll have to re-watch Holland and Uchtdorf since my kids made me miss some of the great wording they had. Both very good writers and speakers. Uchtdorf especially was hitting some really deep doctrine.