General Conference - April 2015

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

General Conference - April 2015

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Apr 2015, 08:40

I am on a device that makes it hard to comment extensively, so I might not be providing extensive notes.

Just as a note, in the letter read in Sac Mtg a couple of weeks ago, the Women's Meeting was called a General Conference session explicitly. Also, Pres. Uchtdorf called this session the Saturday morning session, NOT the first session, in his opening remarks.

It also was interesting to see at least three apostles using hand sanitizer during the lead-up video. Adds a real element of humanity in a weird way.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: General Conference - April 2015

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Apr 2015, 09:09

Pres. Eyring is the first speaker. I recommend this talk highly.

The love of the savior reaches out to all of God's children. We succor him when we succor others. "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

The law of the fast, quoting from Isaiah. (I love this passage.)

Cool stories about the natural disaster in Vanuatu and the civil war in Sierra Leone.

Better to teach the principle of the fast and let children learn to observe it when they are old enough to choose. YES! - about this and other things.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2015, 09:27

Yes, pretty standard fair for a fast offering talk with the added personal experiences. Overall a nice talk.

Oct. 2011 was the last time Pres. Monson did not give the first conference address.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Apr 2015, 09:36

Pres. Packer is next. (This is going to be one many here will want to skip. It is a standard Pres. Packer sex-related talk. Without the anti-gay marriage subtext, it would be different, but . . . Seriously, skip this one.. It isn't worth the heartburn.)

I am not going to add notes for this one, except to say that it is getting more and more difficult to understand Pres. Packer as he speaks. Someone just texted me wondering why apostles can't have emeritus status and wondering if we could use subtitles for Pres. Packer.

Repentance leaves no scars, because of the atonement. That is a good message, and I am happy he said it.

West

Post by West » 04 Apr 2015, 09:44

Really loved the tithing talk.

I've been sick, so I'm just barely getting out of bed and missed a lot already. My family is watching GC on the main TV in the living room right in range of my bedroom, and whereas I could understand the previous speaker from where I am, I can barely understand Pres. Packer. Just a low growly grumble. I tend to skip his talks anyway, though, so doesn't really matter. I would fully support emeritus status for apostles.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2015, 09:54

At first blush I'd say most here will want to skip Sr. Burton as well. I left when she talked about being aware there are those who can't meet the ideal but she wasn't going to talk about that and instead talked about her ideal - the worthy husband who provides his family and all the other stuff from the Proclamation.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2015, 09:58

The parts of BKP's talk that I could understand were okay. He spent some time talking about how sins don't leave scars, that we can repent and it doesn't matter what happened in the past or how often it happened. At least I think that's what he said, that's what I decided to hear anyway. ;) It is a BKP talk on sex, so you have to take what you get.

The talk that followed BKP (missed the name) is a skipper. Lots of family proclamation focus, probably creates some unintentional bad feelings among the singles, I think it even runs the risk of dividing homes where a PH holder has expressed doubt. A good nugget here or there but not the best talk.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Apr 2015, 10:00

Pres. Burton is next. (This will be controversial, because it implies stereotypes, but she talks about working with a spouse as an equal partner.)

She started by acknowledging openly that many don't have happy marriages.

Overall, this is a good message, but it will be hard for many here to see that. Most will want to skip it, as well.

West

Post by West » 04 Apr 2015, 10:04

I was walking past the TV when this speaker said "offended," and I kept walking.

I'll be attending the live session for this afternoon, so I'll probably have more viable comments to contribute then when I have no choice but to listen. :lol:
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Apr 2015, 10:10

Elder Oaks is next. (This is a good talk in many ways. It would be easy to dismiss it at first, with his mention of being offended, but it is a really good talk, overall.)

What we must to do reform our personal lives. The parable of the sower, for those who have committed to be followers of Christ.

Anyone can have "no root in themselves" if not grounded in the Gospel. (He did not say "Church".) Example of not taking sacrament seriously; "keyhole" view of focusing so narrowly on negatives and ignoring positives. Moderation is important.

Materialism is not good. He rejected the Prosperity Gospel openly and explicitly. Yeah!!

Cares of this life. Good examples. Moved to things that won't be popular here, when talking about needing to stand firm in our beliefs. The principle he is teaching is important, but many here won't like the examples he used.

How can we prepare to be good ground? Be converted to the Gospel; pray; study; take the sacrament; serve others.